Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ms. Sassy

When Sassy came here she had never been handled since the day she was born.  Just catching her and getting her on the trailer took hours and was pretty traumatic for her (and me!).  She’s taken a long time to get over the fact that I had to manhandle her, and there for awhile, I didn’t think she’d ever trust me.   We had a mutual distrust for each other.  She thought I was going to beat her and I kept a watchful eye on her back feet and teeth at all times.

But now, things are starting to change just a bit.  I no longer feel like she’s going to strike or bite me, and she’s starting to become a curious little mare who thinks I should have cookies on me at ALL TIMES.

 

She follows me everywhere when I’m out in the pasture and calls to me with her special little bray whenever I’m walking up to the barn.  The problem is… she follows me EVERYWHERE.  Did I mention that?

 

 

I was trying to get pictures of some of the horses today for flyers that Anne is doing for the event this Saturday (OMG, is it really only a few days away???).  Miss Sassy made this very  difficult.

 

 

Say there human… whatcha got in your hands?  Is that a big black cookie?

 

Here, let me help you with that…

 

I had to clean Sassy snot off my lens when she was done, but it was worth it for her to be this curious about the camera and not be worried that I was going to beat her with it.  Once she figured out the camera wasn’t edible, she proceeded to try and eat my hand while I played with her muzzle.  Baby steps!

2 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

It's sad when an animal doesn't trust the human thinking that it may get a beating. But it's nice to know that Ms. Sassy is turning around and gaining her trust in you.

Sylvia said...

I'm so happy to see an update on sassy! She is a beautiful mule. Eric is ooh-ing and ahh-ing over her pictures :)
She looks great...so happy she's learning to trust! The close up of her eyes is a great picture.