Friday, April 10, 2009

Time to talk Garden

As usual, I’m late getting things into the ground.  Pinetree has not helped matters by still not shipping my March 3rd order.  That order had most the early stuff that needed to go in the ground and it ain’t early anymore!  I did have some beet, radish, and carrot seed, so that went in the ground tonight.  The lettuce, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, and collard seedlings will be ready to go into the garden in the next week or two.

The seeds that were sown tonight got covered with deer netting in the hopes that it will be enough of a deterrent to keep the chickens from scratching them up.    If not, then lesson learned.

All my herbs are coming on strong from last year:

Oregano

 Picture 009

 

Chives

Picture 010

 

Lemon Balm

Picture 011

 

For fear of over greening you, I didn’t take pictures of the Hyssop, Yarrow, Catnip, and Bee Balm.  I was hoping the bronze fennel would come back this year, but the two plants I had took quite a beating last year and I’m afraid they weren’t very healthy when Winter hit.  But I did take a picture of the seemingly happy garlic plants.

Picture 008

 

Note the lack of snow.  This is what April is supposed to look like.

2 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Thanks for not over greening us! :)
Looks like your herbs are doing great and the garlic plants too!
I don't know why Pinetree takes such a long time to process orders. I know that they are a small company, maybe under-staffed?
I'm waiting for my potatoes and onion plants.

Lena said...

I second YD. Thanks for not over-greening us, hate it when that happens and it won't go away for days!!! :-)
Pinetree took long for me as well, but I did get the potatoes a few weeks ago and they're in the ground!
Happy Gardening!