Monday, April 20, 2009

I’m so glad it’s Monday

I never thought I’d say that, but I actually mean it.  Glenn came back from school on Friday night and he’s been lashing me with the whip all weekend.  On Saturday we spent most the day putting up 200’ of woven wire fence on the quarantine pasture.  Yes, I said most of the day.  Because fencers, we are not.  We have a woven wire fence stretcher that works wonders when you know how to use it and don’t need to use it between each and every fence post on a crooked and hilly stretch of fence.  I imagine it would be really nice to use on a straight run of 20 or 30 posts.  Too bad this is West Virginia. 

We spent all day cleaning house and rearranging furniture on Sunday.  And I’m not just talking a quick pick up and vacuum.  We actually dusted, yaw’ll.  And scrubbed.  And mopped.  It was horrible, I tell ya.  Just horrible.

We did let Ellie out with the main herd Saturday morning and boy, was that ever uneventful.  Everyone accepted her without a squeal or kick from the bunch.  She didn’t even bother with the mares, but went straight for the bottom of the gelding pack and worked her way up to the top.  First, she spent some time hanging with Indy while he cribbed on every fence post he could find.  She found that boring (who wouldn’t?) so moved on to Quest.  Quest looked down at her, gave her a quick sniff, then led her off to the barn for dinner.  After everyone ate,  she and Gentry went off to graze apart from the rest of the herd.  On Sunday morning she and Junior were hanging out in the barn together and Junior wouldn’t let any of the other horses get close to her.  

She still shows up at the small gate by the house right on schedule for her other meals, then races up the hill of death to be back with the herd when she’s done.  This is one very smart little pony!  I just hope she’s not too smart for my own good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm voting for Ellie's smartness! She's figured out that you feed her--and comes to you during feeding time. I think the rest will come with sheer time (I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir here!!) and she will eventually come around quite nicely. She just has to get over all the hideous memories of people she has from her last so-called home (insert sarcastic laughter here).