Monday, April 27, 2009

Babies

Before you go voting on names for the colt and filly, let me shed a little light on their personalities for you. He’s a quaking in fear little teddy bear, and she’s a don’t look at me or I’ll kill you terror on hooves.

That about sums it up.

I was on call or work this weekend, and you all know what that means. I wasn’t able to escape the house for much barn time, but I did spend a little time with them last night at dinner. The colt let me walk up behind him and groom him all over and he actually ate for the first time since he’s come here. I actually think he didn’t have a clue what grain was. No matter how often we’d put the bucket in front of him before, he’d ignore it and pretend it wasn’t there.

While I was grooming the colt, Glenn was trying to make nice with the filly. She promptly pinned her ears back and went after him with teeth bared and front hooves striking. Okie dokie then! This is the second time she’s gotten defensive around us, so it looks like I’m going to have fun with this little girl!

I did work with her on Friday night and tried to teach her how to lead. She did pretty well with me and we’ll work on it more tonight. Hopefully we’ll be able to get her brother into the bachelor pad with Maverick tonight, too. Not that he’s shown any desires to make babies, but I’d rather he not have the chance!

No comments: