Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Snow is Evil

There’s something inherently evil with snow in April.  It’s just plain wrong.   I didn’t want to take a picture for you because it’s way too depressing.  I also blame the snow for making me feel worse just as I was getting better.  Glenn is back in truck driving school (hooray for finally passing the CDL tests!) so I have no one to whine to except you.  Don’t you feel special??

Ellie has decided that she does not want to eat unless I’m either holding the bucket for her or petting her while she’s eating.  As soon as I walk away to do something else she stops eating and comes with me.  She’s also still trying to find a way into the house.

I’ve got a blanket on her, but it was Megalia’s and is WAY too big.  Unfortunately, it’s also the smallest one I have that isn’t too small for her.  She’s in no danger of getting the straps caught in her legs so it’s better than nothing.  When I first put a blanket on her I could tell she hadn’t ever had one one before.  She was so nervous that she actually stopped chewing.  The first blanket was too small, so when I put the second blanket on she was done being terrified and just kept chewing.

Yesterday I proved my worthiness to ride the short bus.  When I go out to check for eggs, I usually leave the small gate to the pasture open if there are no horses from the main herd anywhere near.   The big herd was way in the top pasture and Ellie was on the other side of the pond hanging out with Stride, so I left the gate open.  In the time it took me to get the eggs and get back out of the coop, Ellie had made it across the stream, through the yard, and was trotting up the hill towards the main herd.  Of course I panicked, as she really isn’t strong enough to go out with the herd yet and I didn’t want her getting hurt.  She must have heard me because she stopped, turned around, and came walking up to me to sniff the eggs.  I had to make promises of sweet feed and ear scratches to get her to follow me back through the gate and into the yard.

At least I know she’s getting stronger and feeling better.  Pretty soon she’ll be feeling good enough to cause all sorts of mischief.

Oh boy, I can’t wait!

4 comments:

Sylvia said...

LOL!! Sounds like a pony to me! She is so cute! And I'm glad she is getting stronger...and has a great personality too!

Sylvia said...

p.s. CONGRATS on the CDL!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey it's West-by-God Virginia, and if ya don't like the weather, just go inside and have a beer. It'll change. What is it, 50 today?!!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

No April snow here. Sorry for you.
Congrats on the CDL!
I hope you are getting better now.
Not trying to upset you but on the news last night, authorities seized 177 malnourished horses from this owner/breeder. He has not been charged yet. NYRA has now banned him from all its tracks.