Friday, September 5, 2008

I need more to do

Call me crazy, but ever since we bought this place I've wanted a couple of milking goats. I want to make my own cheese and yogurt. I want cute little furry critters baaaaing at me as I feed them. I want to cuddle a new born kid in the middle of a cold December night. I want to get up extra early in the morning in order to milk the does, then repeat 12 hours later. Every... single... day.

Yes, I'm mildly insane.

I need more chores around this place. Honestly. Between working 8 hour days at my job, feeding and caring for 16 horses, keeping the five dogs and one man in line, gardening and preserving, and making at least an attempt to keep the house clean, I'm bored.

Okay, so maybe "bored" is too strong of a word.

Maybe I just want an additional challenge. Maybe I never want to be able to take a vacation again. Ever. Perhaps the thought of increasing my feed bill appeals to me. Whatever the reason, I want goats next year.

What do I know about goats? They eat, poop, and breed. That about covers it on the goat knowledge. But that's where the internet comes in. And those things with paper pages... hang on... it's coming to me... ah yes, books! Everything I need to know about goats is available to me and if I can manage to put down the seed catalogs this winter I will immerse myself in goat knowledge and become one with the udder. In the meantime, I've been researching breeds.

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/cheese/dairy-goat-breeds.asp

I think I want either Alpines, LaManchas, or Saanens. How cute are those LaManchas?? I think I can probably limit myself to two does and a buck. We can modify the small barn for goats and make two pastures to keep the buck (and maybe a wether for company?) separated from the does when not breeding.

What do you think? Crazy or just plain nuts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mildly insane, eh? I think completely insane is more like it. How else do think you could get along w/me? No sane person ever has :) I have images of you being like the crazy cat lady from the simpsons.
http://avatarfarm.com/simpsons/crazy_cat_lady.php
or we need to get you a sign like this?
http://images.cafepress.com/product/177943488v5_150x150_Front.JPG

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I would love a couple. I am currently working on getting fences up so I can have goats. I went to a homesteading class a few years back and lost my heart to the sweet saen named Daisy I learned to milk. She was so clean and good natured.

Lena said...

yep....aha....crazy....:-)
Btw, can you write some blog entries for me? Since you're on such a roll.... :-)))))
Seriously, a WV farm without goats is just not a farm. I think you should get some sheep too. ;-)

wvfarmgirl said...

April - love the crazy goat lady sign! I'll have to put it next to my too many cats sign.

Rose - Oh, oh, OH! I just went to your blog and saw the recipe for chocolate cherry oatmeal cookies. That just sounds sinfully yummy!!

Do you have goats now?

Lena - Sheep??? What in the world would I do with sheep? Sure, they're cute, but you should know by now that I could never ever ever take anything that I raised to the butcher. Glenn would have to do that when I'm not home! :)

Any news on the horse?