After the last two depressing posts I thought I'd discuss something on the boring but cheery side. Since I was on-call yesterday I did a bunch of canning in an attempt to avoid house cleaning. But you knew that already, didn't you? My little pantry is now filled to the brim with jars, all except the bottom shelf which I have to save for the canners, jar lifters, funnels, screw lids, etc.
Here's a pic of the first two shelves.
The top shelf was practically empty on Friday. I filled it up yesterday with pears and tomato soup.
Everything in that pantry came out of my garden, with the exception of the mushrooms, apples, and pears. The apples and pears came from Anastasia's trees, which I know to be grown organically. The one quart of ketchup was a gift from another friend who also grows organically. Unfortunately, there is no more room in the pantry, but I've got 30 spinach plants and 15 collard seedlings ready to go into the garden. Also beets growing like crazy from seed sown about 10 days ago. And just last night I told Glenn that next year things will be more organized, the garden will be bigger, and I'll have a lot more things that I'll want to can. So I'll need more pantry space and at least twice as many jars. We only have 6 pint jars left now. And the last time we went to buy more jars we had to stop at 8 different places because everyone was out. I guess a lot of people are disgusted with grocery store food and rising prices these days!
For my reference next year I wanted to put the current inventory up here. Go ahead and stop reading now if you'd like, you won't hurt my feelings. But please don't ask why we needed so many pickles. I really have no clue.
15 pints Cherry Tomato & Ginger Marinade
7 pints Applesauce
4 quarts Applesauce with Pineapple Tomatillos
3 pints sliced Beets
10 pints Green Beans
12 half pints + 1 pint sliced Jalapenos
6 pints Dill Pickle Slices
5 half pints Pineapple Tomatillo juice/marinade/failed jelly attempt?
18 quarts Bread & Butter pickles
33 1/2 quarts Methodist Pickles (why why why???)
3 pints Fried Apples
6 pints Peaches in light syrup
4 1/2 quarts Chard
22 quarts Pasta Sauce with meat
1 quart Ketchup (gift)
14 quarts whole tomatoes
9 pints Marinated Mushrooms
16 quarts Tomato Soup
7 quarts + 21 pints Pears in light syrup
1 pint dried Hot Pepper Flakes
In the freezer:
8 packages corn on the cob (4 ears per package)
2 loaves Banana Bread
14 packages Stuffed Tomatoes (2-3 per package)
2 gallon size bags Strawberries
6 packages Green Beans
1 gallon size bag Basil Pesto cubes
6 gallon bags frozen whole tomatoes
Oh, and for those of you still reading, I have a bit of a horsey surprise coming in the next few days. But I'm trying to keep it hush hush until it actually happens.
5 comments:
How can I save my two treesfull of apples? I've always canned the deer, but I know of nothing to do with apples. I have ~60 quart jars, apple trees with breaking limbs, and a pony that eats too many apples every day! HELP!
Ha, and I've decided (without your input...but I'm hoping to bribe you into agreement!! please!!) that I would really appreciate your oversight in the spring...I would love to ride Kit for you on occasion and get your input on my position/effectiveness/what not, as there is just *no one* here that I like as much as you. :) I just want to get Kitty-boo a bit more solid.
AND I have a treeless that I am homing in on. I've had erratic, recurrent bouts of pain in my left hip and seat bone after the fall. I'm hoping that this saddle will help a bit, along with me getting into better shape. Man, it's WORK to get a big trot into shape!!
The first thing I said to myself when I started reading this post was: "Of course she didn't clean the house"...and of course the next few sentences where "to avoid cleaning the house"
Around my place, neglected and organic are pretty much the same thing.
Wolf and Terrier - try drying apples. Love them. Then applesauce. And apple juice. And apple leather. And baked apples. And fried apples. And apple butter. Oh my, you will have fun.
Let's hear more about your marinated mushrooms!
Post a Comment