Friday, September 19, 2008

He's Baaaaaaaaack!

Heidi and Brie came home last night reeking of skunk. Would someone tell me what the attraction is??? They've been sprayed so many times that you'd really think they would learn. Black critter with white stripe down it's back = stinky dog. Stinky dog = sleep outside for a week. This is a simple concept, but one that they either just don't get, or just don't care about. Thor was the only dog to sleep inside last night because he hadn't run off with the girls and still smelled lemony fresh from his bath the other night. Around midnight Thor dropped his big fat head on my stomach to let me know in no uncertain terms that he had to go. NOW. When I let him out he disappeared into the dark, so I didn't bother waiting for him to come back in. Back to bed I go. Around 3 AM we're both awakened by the incessant barking right outside our bedroom window. The moon was bright so I could easily see the big whomping appy butt right outside my window grazing happily, as Thor, Zeus, and Heidi bark at him for trespassing.


What good guard dogs we have. Sigh.


Knowing that Thor is the instigator (read: big mouth), I bring him in. Once out of the picture, Heidi and Zeus go back to sleep on the porch and leave us all with a peaceful state of quiet for the next few hours.


When I got up this morning I found a new pest in my garden.



All I had to do was walk out and open the small gate for him. He took off into the field looking for buddies. And, um, sorry for the rated X pic. I don't have Photoshop and I'm probably not capable of using it if I had it. So just don't blow that pic up, ok?

You can't see the herd in this pic, but they're only about 100 yards off to the right. Appybutt kept his distance until he was invited. The tractor fairy has yet to bushhog the fields. Those damned fairies are never there when you need them.



Jewel and Willow were first on the scene, followed closely by the king of the herd, Junior. Note the size difference here. Willow is 15.1h. I love my big horses. :)




"Mom, did you really have to let him back in?? Now I have to establish dominance once again and make sure everyone knows that the girls are MINE.."










Now that we've all sniffed noses and squealed, lets finish off with a nice short run.



Run, shmun. Appybutts must eat.




I guess I know what I'm doing today -- dragging appybutt home to Drunken Neighbor. But I doubt anyone will be home and what do I do with him then? Tie him up to her house, hoping she'll trip over the 1100lb horse on her way to the door? And what if she doesn't come back for days? It would be a waste of time to put him back in the pasture with the one strand of barbed wire that she worked all summer to "fix". Maybe I should load him up in the trailer and take him to live with that poor lonely Morgan mare...

As much as I love ol' Appybutt, he sure is becoming a pain in my butt.

No comments: