Saturday, September 27, 2008

Horse Slaughter

In the comments from the previous post Warren had asked how I felt about the new anti slaughter laws. I admittedly don't watch TV so am not as up to date on current events as most. However, I do know about H.R. 6598 which is the most recent horse anti slaughter bill to be introduced. This question kept me up last night. Thanks Warren. :)

So this morning I had to do a little research and find out if the bill had passed or not. From what I can find, it hasn't. It was up for debate on the 23rd of this month, but according to Govtrack the bill has not been voted on yet. Please tell me if I'm wrong as of my post this morning!

For those who aren't aware of this bill, here's the gist of it:

Except as provided in subsection (b), whoever knowingly--

‘(1) possesses, ships, transports, purchases, sells, delivers, or receives, in or affecting interstate commerce or foreign commerce, any horse with the intent that it is to be slaughtered for human consumption; or


‘(2) possesses, ships, transports, purchases, sells, delivers, or receives, in or affecting interstate commerce or foreign commerce, any horse flesh or carcass or part of a carcass, with the intent that it is to be used for human consumption;


shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years or both.


One would think that this is a no brainer, right? Especially after watching this undercover video of horses headed to Mexico for slaughter. Watch to the end if you can. And don't for one moment think that the Canadian slaughter houses are much better. The only difference is that Canada uses a different method for killing the horse. It's barely more humane than what the Mexico plants use.

But the other side of the anti slaughter bill is what to do with all of the unwanted horses if they can't be sent to slaughter? There simply aren't enough good homes for all of the horses being bred by both big breeders and back yard breeders these days. Last year almost 60,000 U.S. horses were sent over the borders for slaughter. Same with the year before. Are there 60,000 homes out there willing to take on someone else's unwanted horse year after year? Probably not. Some people have decided to let the horse lose to fend for itself in national parks or range land, rather than take it to the local livestock auction. For horses that have been born and raised in captivity, this is usually a death sentence.

I have heard that in Australia they have local slaughter houses where you can make an appointment and take your beloved pet yourself. You can be with the horse throughout the whole process if you choose and the horse is put down humanely without the pain, suffering, and terror that they experience here. If you don't have the means to get the vet out, or bury or haul the carcass away afterwards, this would be the ideal to me. It's a shame the U.S. can't learn from Australia.

What's my stand?

I can sometimes be an optimist. And even though my view may be seen as totally unrealistic, I think it could happen. Maybe. One of these years. I say reopen the U.S. plants. Save the horses the long painful trip into Canada or Mexico. Enforce the double decker trailer law more. These are still seen loaded with horses. Also, the plants would be much easier to govern and control if they were in the U.S. Use only humane methods and do not start processing the horse until it's dead. Offer the same type of service as the slaughter plants in Australia for those who care about how their pets die. Make all horse breeders that breed at least X number of horses per year for sale register as a breeder and tax them for the purpose of using that tax to support 501(c) equine rescues.

In my opinion, a clean painless death is far better than slowly starving to death in the wild. Of course, the ideal situation would be to stop breeding horses for awhile. But since we can't make people stop breeding comformationally challenged, dangerous, or unrideable horses, there has to be another way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree the slaughter of horses going to mexico is more inhumane than Canada which Im not saying canada is humane the only organizations that say slaughter is humane are the AQHA,APHA,AAEP,AVMA,and the few who are the problems making money off the horses. If you notice now the NTBA has now changed there decission to stay Neutral on slaughter 2 days after John Hettinger passed away. John was a spokesperson for the horses thru the NTBA. http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2008/09/045.shtml The truth about the horses in the wild. Well there isnt no problem with them existing. There is a problem with BLM and the whole Cattle Industries the same Industries that were getting $3.00 per horse slaughtered at Texas Plants. Heres the lastest of the Cattle Industries dreams http://cattlenetwork.com/Content.asp?ContentID=255731 These organizations dont say nothing about plants operating illegal for years they seem more worried about there evil ways to make profits and lying to the public. Theses pro slaughter people are milking our judical sysytems there lobbyist and lawyers are the blame for US plants increasing the slaughtered of American horses not just the econony or fuel prices lip services they cry about. Its erresponsiblity and they want to get rewarded for there useless efforts to bred the perfect horse for papers. Our horse bill is now in the house with at least 117 co/sponsors 218 is needed. We will not stop for the horses. We also created the Top Ten Rescues for Donations which to date as a group have rewarded more than 15,000 no needy rescues thru out the US & canada. which can be viewed at http://SaveDaHorses.org Our goals are to reach $20,000 a month to reward 10 rescues with $2,000 each month. please spread the word Unity is power and we can set funds for the Rescues in need. Seems the Industries should have started a program but have not the all make profits all of our programs and profits goes to the rescues Our board is Not paid nor I.

Anonymous said...

You know my feeling about the horses that I choose! :) However, I don't think that most people are up to handling a horse with that peculiar temperament and personality. Slaughter is a necessary evil. I think a short end of terror is preferable to a long starvation topped off by the auction experience. If the US had carefully regulated slaughter plants (and I mean regulated--as in transporation methods, number of horses in the trailers, killing techniques, etc.) I would see that as a far better alternative to the ride up to Canada or to Mexico.

As Joe from TBFriends says, "Be sure to hug your horses." I am grateful for what I do have, and try to remind myself that I have rescued what I can. All four of my dogs and my brat Siamese, as well as my pony, were less than ideal animals when I got them. You have to do what you can with what you have...

Antislaughter / proslaughter...try to do what you can. The number of poorly conformed horses from shitty breeders is not going to magically disappear tomorrow. I don't know of a solution, beyond trying to do what I can in my small corner of the world.

Anonymous said...

If you want to keep up with topics such as horse slaughter, tripping, carriage horses, etc, you may want to check out this site:
http://fund4horses.org/
and subscribe to the Tuesday's Horse, a blog that is update weekly with different horse topics.

There is a lot of information on their site and I think they do a really good job of keeping the information up to date.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info...I think I 100% agree with your stand as posted. It just seems to make sense.