Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I’m too brain dead to come up with a title

Please forgive me.

The first family that I hired to work around here did not work out.  I won’t go into details because I’m over it.   Luckily, I had already hired someone else to replace fence, who said “sure, we can mow and weed eat too, and whatever other little projects you have”.  GREAT!  How about starting with the outhouse remodeling?

They started yesterday and the outhouse is now the “in” place to hang if you’re a young chicken or guinea.   The guys are sinking fence posts today and I think it’s pathetic how excited I’ve become over new fencing. 

Picture 003

 

The only thing left to do is put a different handle on the door.  The one that’s on there now is a lever and I’m pretty sure there’s a certain black and tan dog around here who is smart enough to get it open. 

Do I need to tell you how STUPID the meat birds are?  They go out, but can’t figure out how to get back in.  So last night I’m out there in the dark with a flashlight, lying on the floor of the outhouse hanging halfway out their door and trying to catch the eight moronic meat birds that couldn’t find their way back in to safety. 

Maybe I’m the stupid one?

Looks like I’ll be doing the same thing tonight.  This one has been sitting outside for hours, which is why I put some water and food out for him. 

Picture 001

 

At least the guineas and young pullets are a bit smarter.  They’ve been going in and out without any help from me.

Hello incredibly ugly little dinosaur.

Picture 002

 

I got home late last night to find Jasmine and Sky marching down the road looking for me.   At least I’d like to think they were looking for me, but probably not.   I went home to get a bucket of feed, but they were already headed back down the driveway.  I guess the smart little hussy knows Bessie truck = food lady.  Rather than try and fix the fence at 9:30 at night, I put them in with the main herd.  Buh bye, have fun, see you in the morning.  I was really too tired to care at that point.  Loading 640lbs of concrete mix, 30 fence posts, and a 25 cubic foot chest freezer on to the truck and trailer does that to me.

I spent most the night wondering if they were ok and if anyone was chasing them.   I should have known better and just gotten some sleep!  When I went up to the barn earlier, Jasmine and Gentry were cozied up together whispering sweet nothings at each other.   Neither her or the baby had a scratch on them or any sweat marks like they’d been running all night.  Jasmine gave me her familiar nicker that she uses to greet me every time I’m near and Sky gave me a sideways glance to see if I had a bucket of food, then went back to snoozing.

I would really like to do the same right about now.  But after work I need to feed everyone, go get more feed, come home and unload it, then go back out to get four more hay rolls, come home and unload those, then go back out in the other direction for horse water, then come home and fill up the troughs.

Ugh.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

holy shiitake woman! Go crack a beer and put your feet up! Just reading your day made me tired! I'm sorry the first hired help didn't workout! Here's to the new crew getting your never ending list worked on.
I will drink an extra cup of coffee for you this morning!