Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I’m SORRY

I feel I have to apologize right off the bat for this post.   Marbles was the only little stud muffin to get gelded today because Quill refused to have a halter put on him.   I played with him for an hour this morning and got him to the point where he’d even let me pick up his feet and clean them out.   I could get a lead rope around his neck, but as soon as he’d feel the resistance he’d go berserk.  I tried putting the halter in his food bucket then slowly slipping it over his ears, but that didn’t work either.  So in the end, Quill only got to watch as Marbles did the hard part.

And because this is an edumacational blog (yeah, right), I took lots of pictures so I could learn ya’ll somethin'.  

First, Doc had to get Marbles sedated, and he really doesn’t like shots.  He bounced around, drug me around a bit, but in the end Doc’s aim proved true and the happy juice was administered.  Then we covered his eyes and tied his back leg up to his halter.  This way that leg can’t kick out and nail Doc in the head.  Some vets just ask that a handler hold the leg,  but Doc said he’s had people do that before that get to yakking and not paying attention and let that leg fly anyway. 

Picture 013

 

Then a liberal application of iodine to cleanse the area…

Picture 012

 

 

Any male readers may want to go to another website right about now.

 

 

Colts can yank their danglies back up into their body so that they don’t dangle anymore and have to be pulled out by hand.   Once the sac is out, Doc slits the sac so he can squeeze out the testicle.

 Picture 014

 Picture 015

 

When everything is pulled out and exposed, Doc uses a special clamp to close off the blood vessels.  The clamp has to remain on for two minutes.

Picture 018

 

After two minutes, the same clamp also has a blade, which makes a clean cut to separate the testicle from the pony.

Picture 019 

 

And then, well, there it is.  Rinse and repeat for dangly number two and congratulations, you have a bouncing baby gelding!

Picture 023

 

Now tell the truth, aren’t you glad I shared?  Don’t you feel enlightened now?  :)

5 comments:

April said...

just going to say...poor baby..... :( ..been there done that :(

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

One word: Ouch!

And guess what my word verification is? OUTCHI.

Lena said...

Wow. I'm all edumacated out now.
:-)

Sylvia said...

lol! i just shared with my husband. he said he feels like he is going to puke. LOL!!!

inchwormwv said...

I'm glad to know! Thanks :-)