Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Just a few of my favorite things

What are your favorite plants in your garden?  I’m not talking about tomato plants because let’s face it, we all love tomatoes.  If you don’t love tomatoes, you’re just weird.   I’m talking about the flower or herb that really floats your boat.  The one you can’t help but stop and admire or rub a leaf and inhale the fragrance.

I was trying to think of my favorites, but there are just way too many, especially when it comes to olfactory experience!  I love all my herbs equally and couldn’t live without any of them.  Walking through the garden and smelling the rosemary, thyme, basil, lemon balm, oregano, lavender, chocolate mint… it’s like a mini vacation from the day.

But just for you, I tried to narrow the list down a bit.

Basil has got to be my favorite herb.  Not only do the flowers entice bees to my garden, but the smell is heavenly and it’s awesome in the kitchen.  For sweet flavor I prefer the lime mint.  I could shove some leaves up my nose all day and be happy, but the plants themselves are boring.  They’re just a light colored green from stem to leaf to flower.  How much fun is that?  For a more savory flavor, my favorite has got to be the Siam Queen Thai basil.  Green leaves, purple stems and flowers, spicy basil flavor to die for.   And this is one basil where you don’t need to pinch back flowers.  Let it bloom, the flavor stays the same and the plant just keeps going. 

Picture 011

 

Then there’s the Opal basil.  Normal basil flavor, but man, what a  pretty package! 

Picture 017

 

Zinnias –  I love all the bright colors and the easy maintenance of the plants.  Not to mention they’re annuals, so won’t take over my garden beds like the catnip and lemon balm.

Picture 025

 

Nasturtiums – can’t live without them!  The peppery flavor of their leaves go great in salads, the different colored flowers are nice in small bouquets, and they are even said to repel some insects so make good companion plants for things like squash and cucumbers.  This year I planted a mixed variety called Alaska, which has variegated leaves and flowers ranging from pale salmon to this one, which is my favorite of the Nasturtium colors.

Picture 028

 

So those are my favorites, at least today.  How about you? 

6 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Thanks for sharing!
Basil is my all time favorite herb. When I didn't use to plant them, I would go to the store and sniff them. Some people probably thought I was nuts but who the hell cares. It's Basil!
Rosemary is second then it's Oregano and then spear mint. Now I have them all in the garden.
I think next year I want to try Thai Basil. I have had them before and they are so good.
Now here's one that I don't think we can ever find it here in the states(at least I tried to search for it) but I know you would probably love it. It's Pandan leaves. It has a very fragrant sweet smell and it's often use to flavor desserts or drinks and the leaves use as coloring for desserts or drinks. I love love love that when I was growing up.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I have to come back and add a few more that I have left out. These are what I grew up with but I do not have them in my garden:
Kaffir Lime Leaves, lemongrass and ginger.
:)

Lena said...

This may sound weird, but does anyone else like to smell their tomato-plants? Don't they smell great - like a promise of what's to come???!!! :-)
I think basil is my all time favorite too! I have it ALL over my garden for it's good companion qualities.
I think after basil, I love touching and smelling the dill, the chocolate mint and then the rosemary....
Now I'm hungry!

April said...

I love the smell of mint and of course Lilacs are heavenly and beautiful.

I love to look at my zinnias too! And snap dragons....OH,and the strawflower..that's a new one for me, but I love it just the same...too bad Neighbor dog has pretty much killed it from stomping on it so much :(

Anonymous said...

My egg yolk tomato plant, hands down. And all the lovely lettuce starts you gave me are seriously up on the list.

But don't get me started on roses. I have to move all the buggers here in the next few weeks and I'm so not excited about digging up at least twenty five roses in the middle of the summer. Blech!

Michelle, Queen Behind the Lens! said...

Lena- Yes! I adore the smell of tomato plants & always brush my hands against them for the smell while walking around the garden. The smell of promise-- and hope!