Monday, May 25, 2009

Color me tired

Whew, what a weekend… and it’s not over yet.   Everyone having a nice long weekend so far?  Taking it easy?  Chilling by the pool, stuffing yourself with bbq?  Maybe you went to the beach?

Did you think of me while you were there??  Did you say to yourself “wonder what ol’ wvfarmgirl is up to this weekend?”  Well, if you did wonder that, thank you.   If you didn’t then I’m mailing you an animal of my choice, postage due.   Keep your eyes out for a big box with holes in the sides.

Let me start by saying that this has been the hottest weekend of the year and it’s been way too long since we’ve had rain, but that hasn’t stopped it from being annoyingly humid.   The horses have spent their days hanging out in the barns hiding from the flies and the dogs have spent their days in the living room hanging out under the window AC unit.  What about me, you ask?

Friday after work I fed everyone as usual then trimmed Quest, Stride, and Maverick.  Which is fairly impressive on it’s own, as my back can usually only handle one or two horses a day.   But those boys are all rock stars when it comes to having pedicures and none of them yanked me around or raised a fuss.   After that it was off to town to get water for the main herd, then home to sow some seeds in the garden (baby corn, fennel, salsify, Chinese red noodle beans, and lima beans).

Saturday saw me riding Frisky and Gentry, trimming Junior, Classy, and Abbi, running to the feed store, cleaning the house and doing laundry, and grooming a bunch of horses after evening feed.

On Sunday I hired a guy and his son to start replacing fence.  The woven wire and fence posts should be in at the end of the week and he’ll get started next weekend.   I rode Kita, Tabby, and Classy, watered the garden (watering can trips back and forth from the house – fun!), mowed some grass, groomed a few more horses after evening feed, then went to town for more water.

I slowed down a lot today, thanks to Anne.  And I do mean THANK YOU, ANNE for making me slow down.  I wasn’t expecting her to come over, but after morning feed and trimming Kita, Semi, and Misfire I went down to the house for some breakfast and much needed rest for my back.  That’s when Anne came down the drive and effectively saved me from myself for the rest of the day.  Considering her intention was to come over and help me work, I think it all worked out for the best.  She spent some time grooming Sadie, who is looking much better since she’s been on an altered diet for her ulcers.  Then we took a drive and ended up getting lunch and ice cream at Dairy Queen.   Try the new raspberry truffle blizzard.  Trust me.

We got back to the house and played with Jasmine and Quill for a bit.  Quill didn’t want to have anything to do with the halter on his face, but we could rub him all over with it and he didn’t seem to care.  Jasmine is finally warming up to us humans and she let me cut away the huge knots in her mane and ate carrots out of Anne’s hands without laying back her ears and acting nervous.   We were allowed to scratch her neck and ears as long as we didn’t go any further back than her withers.  It shouldn’t be too much longer before I can get a halter on her.  She showed interest in Quill’s halter and tried chewing on it while Anne was holding it out for her.  At least she’s not afraid of it after what happened to her face when she was younger!

Then Anne had to go, so I sent her off with a ton of eggs.  People don’t leave here without eggs.  It’s just a fact of life.   As she was pulling out the driveway, I couldn’t help but think that maybe I should go inside and think about doing something like this:

 Picture 009

 

OH YEAH.

 

Picture 005

 

Somebody wake me up when it’s time to feed again. 

4 comments:

Lena said...

I did too think about you this weekend! (which was spent in the garden, in between rain showers) I thought about you while whining (in my head) about being unable to clean the dirt from my fingernails. I thought "I bet wvfarmgirl doesn't have clean nails all the time!" Haha. So am I right?

Oh, DQ Raspberry Truffle Blizzard - to die for!!!!! :-))))

wvfarmgirl said...

I don't have fingernails! Been biting them off since I was eight. Makes life easier that way. :)

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I didn't do anything fun at the beach. I worked in and outside of the house. I did think of you and I came over to see the horses but I didn't comment.
So I did think of you.

April J said...

I thought about you and I guessed right. You'd be all over the garden and the horses. Wicked weekend!:)