Saturday, November 22, 2008

Something wicked that way goes

Drunken Neighbor's friends finally showed up just now to take Appybutt and his little filly friend. They told animal control that they were coming out last night to get them. Of course, no one ever showed up. Meanwhile more fence needs to be repaired and my strawberry bed is totally stomped.

According to friends, Drunken Neighbor is incapable of handling her own horse and shouldn't even own him. They were shocked to hear that she never even knows when he's missing and doesn't care. They did say she was pretty upset when she heard from AC last night that he had escaped again. She got off work at 7pm last night. Apparently she wasn't so upset that she could come over and talk to us about him. On second thought, staying away from me was probably a darned good idea last night. Especially after Appybutt kicked me in the leg while trying to get to the feed I was carrying out to Quest and Stride. Glenn went out with me this morning to protect me while I fed. It's pretty sad when you live out in the styx like this and can't even walk through your own yard without getting mauled by your neighbor's food aggressive horse with no manners.

Drunken Neighbor's friends brought a horse trailer to move the horses several hundred yards. I kid you not. Appybutt loaded after a few minutes, but the filly would have nothing of it. Let me set the stage for you. Blond friend has horses of her own and thinks she is the only person in the world who knows anything about horses. Brunette friend knows nothing about horses and is terrified of them. Male friend is completely useless and chose to sit in the warm truck while the women tried to get the filly in the trailer.

Every time they would get the filly close the trailer she would rear up and back away. This is when Blondie would give her some grain. HELLO?? Here, let me reward you for rearing and not getting on the trailer. Maybe she was trying reverse psychology on the filly? When grain didn't work the filly was beaten. Blondie has apparently never heard of the three second rule. Punish the horse for no more than three seconds because after that they have no idea what they're being punished for it. Blondie decided that going totally ballistic on the poor filly for a couple of minutes would convince her to trust Blondie enough to get on the trailer. No really, it hurts me more than it hurts you. Trust me.

I was putting on some warm clothes and boots and preparing to go up and either beat someone up or get the filly on the trailer. Then I saw Glenn go up instead. He had been out in the garage working on his truck and I had forgotten he was even home. I decided to hang back and watch for a minute because I knew he wouldn't put up with abuse any more than I would. He got up to the trailer, took a lead rope and wrapped it around the filly's neck, then lead her quietly up to the trailer and let her stand there for a minute to calm down. One smack on the butt and she jumped forward and stood still. The second smack on the butt sent her front feet into the trailer. He took a minute to praise and relax, then wrapped a lead rope around her butt. He pulled one side and Blondie pulled the other. Up on the trailer went the filly!

I'm so proud of him! Especially since I got to stay in the house where it's warm. Now it's time for a nice warm lunch, then out to get started on the run-in shed for the bachelors. Yesterday the weathermen said it would be 45 and partly sunny. Today it's 30 and overcast. Please forgive me if my fingers are too frost bit to type for the rest of the weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really getting to be a problem for you. Are there any charges that can be filed againist this iresponsible person? Of course, that could make it worse. It's bad once you start fueding with a neighbor. My heart goes out to you.

wvfarmgirl said...

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do. It's her responsibility to pay for any damage or fix any fences that he took down. But she can't even fix her own fence well enough to keep him in, so do we really want her over here messing with our fences? Not really. Animal Control said that the next time he came over and caused trouble they'd come out with a deputy and sieze poor old Appybutt.

Which would probably mean he'd end up here anyway since the county really doesn't have a place for horses. But at least then I'd have the freedom to put some training on him and adopt him out to someone who would give him the attention he craves.

Janis Bland said...

I feel really bad for Appybutt. It would be a blessing for him to truly live with you.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I got quiet angry reading this post..no, not at you but at those idiots who don't deserve to own any kind of animals! I feel so bad for Appybutt.
Many years ago when I was still living in Louisiana, I had a neighbor who own a Rottweiler puppy. They never paid any attention to the poor pup, left her outside all day in the heat with no water!!! We often had to go over and give her water. One day the pup got out of their yard and I picked her up outside, at that time I really wanted to kidnap her so that she's not back with those idiots. But I couldn't steal her and I felt really bad that she's back with that family.