Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rain, glorious rain!

I don't know if we're getting Faye leftovers or just some nice summer rain, but whatever the source I'm darned tickled about it. It's been weeks since we've had decent rain and of course I just watered the garden last night. The pastures are dry and cracked, the pond is so low we're starting to see things that the previous owner put in there (you really don't want to know. Ignorance is bliss in this case.), and I've been hauling water from town once a week for the garden and several times a week for the trough for the main herd. Fortunately the bachelors have a spring-fed tank that stays full and fresh on it's own. The main herd has been going through about 275 gallons every other day.


Jewel has finally gotten to the point where she can be caught easily so I've removed her halter. I kept talking about starting her on the lunge line before, but for some reason or another it just never happened. So last night was our first workout together, but I think I probably got more of a workout than she did. I've never bothered getting a lunge whip because my horses simply don't need one. Kita has been trained with voice commands since she was a munchkin, Junior has never needed extra incentive to move forward, and Semi has her own pace and I've never asked for more from the old girl. I now need a lunge whip. Seriously. Tossing the end of the lunge line or the lead rope at Jewel's butt did NOTHING to make her move forward. Want to talk lazy? This horse could kick my ex-husbands' butt in a laziness contest. And trust me, that is saying something!


Glenn was the guy behind the camera last night since Brie still hasn't gotten past the whole lack of opposable thumbs problem yet. Sometimes Glenn gets lucky with the camera. Last night was not one of those times. But granted, I was chasing Jewel around a pretty big area trying to get her to just move and it was difficult for him to keep up. Once the quarantine/nursery paddock and barn are finished a round pen is next up on the to do list!


Note the totally idiotic look on the BDD in the background. This is another reason we need a round pen. Heidi, Brie, and Thor decided that under my feet was the best place to be to get the action. The BDD thought maybe right in Jewel's path was the most exciting place to be. And he's so trusting that he just assumed Jewel would go around him. Why get up and move when you're hot and tired?




The odd thing about Jewel is that sometimes she would gait instead of trot. Huh? A gaited appaloosa? It's possible, just not something I see very often. And it may have just been a "fluke" last night. I'll know more as I work with her more. And another note, not once did this mare even lay back her ears while I was working her. She even got to the point where she'd welcome my touch if it meant killing the deer flies that were swarming all over her. And look at those perky little ears! She's going to be such an adorable little horse once she's broke to ride!


I hopped on Classy again last night... I haven't been able to ride her near as much as I'd like, but hopefully things will start slowing down a bit soon and I'll be able to get more saddle time in on her. The potential adopters are coming out tonight to try her out, but won't be able to take her home for awhile because they are fostering a Percheron stud and only have the one pasture. So until the Percheron goes home or gets gelded, I can't let Classy go home with them. But that's okay, as it will give me more training time with her before she leaves. She's a good girl for the most part, but is still nervous and a bit herd bound to her sisters.


Sleep is still coming in bits and pieces at night thanks to the allergies. Hopefully, this rain will wash a bunch of the pollen out of the air and give me a little bit of a reprieve. And for those of you who don't have allergies, allow me this moment of childish behavior.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No kidding on the rain! I cannot imagine how folks have been feeding and watering horses in areas with bad drought. I was worried about my sunflowers so I cannot imagine having to deal with all of your horses...keep up the good work!

wvfarmgirl said...

Warren,
Luckily, we have a 425 gallon water tank that fits on the back of the truck. Around here you see them everywhere in the beds of trucks. Most people have cisterns instead of wells and rely on rain water off the roofs of their homes for water. At least we have a spring-fed cistern, but it's gravity fed. We'd have to dig up the cistern, run electric to it and install a pump and new line to get it up the hill to the barn for the horses. At this point, paying fifty cents for 425 gallons and driving 12 miles to town is worth it!

And no, I haven't tried the salsa yet. I've got a ton of frozen maters waiting to have something done with them, I just need to find the time!

Anonymous said...

The good news one the salsa...once the maters are frozen, you can make it once everything else slows down...but does it with horses? The only animals I have are a cat and bees...and two kids. Anyhow, I had ducks as a kid but they were nothing comapred to a horse as far as work. Anyhow, things will slow down eventually and you'll need a little salsa!