Friday, August 1, 2008

Garden Discoveries

As I was shutting down the laptop I heard the distant sounds of thunder. Yippee! We could really use some rain! But it was also getting darker out and I wanted to get some garden pics before the weekend. Because yet again, I will be busier than a puppy with two peters this weekend. So let's take a look at what I found in the garden today, shall we?

Jelly Melons have planned and are currently executing the greatest garden takeover I've ever seen. They're crawling all over the basil, climbing up the corn, and they're headed into the next bed to attack the eggplants and cucumbers.




They're also climbing up the corn. Which is where I saw my first baby Jelly Melon fruit. Kinda funny looking, like little tiny pineapples. I can't wait.



This is one of my Brandywine tomatoes. Since the first ripe tomato two weeks ago, I've picked 72lbs of maters. Except for the few here and there that I couldn't help but eat right on the spot, they've all been cleaned, cored, and frozen. If things keep going like they are, I'm going to need a very large chest freezer. Or maybe I just need to take a couple of days off work to spend canning salsa and pasta sauce? Now that sounds like a plan.



On Monday I had pruned one of my White Oxheart plants because it had gone up and over the cage and was falling down on some of the banana peppers. I didn't notice this bird nest until the next day.




And today, I saw these cute little critters! They look like they just hatched within the past day or two. They're so tiny! I tried to get the best picture that I could without disturbing the area around them. I hope mom keeps coming back and doesn't make me abandon the plant!



Everyone loves a pretty butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa)! I just thought I had ordered the orange version, not the pink. Haven't I mentioned before that I'm not a "pink" type of gal?




Could it be?? The first eggplant is taking shape! I foresee fried eggplant in my future! I love it sliced and fried in Italian breadcrumbs. I could live off that stuff. I'm going to try frying then freezing it this year and will let you know how it keeps.




The sun is coming out and the thunder has stopped. :( I guess it's time to go water the garden, feed the horses, and go for a ride or two. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Very nice! I love looking at other people's garden pictures.
One thing I discovered this year is that it's good to plant cucumbers next to giant sunflowers. The cukes just climb up the sunflower plants. Will have to remember that next year.
Salsa and pasta sauce sound great! I love making those. Now, you freeze your tomatoes? I've never done that. Do you have to blanch them first?

wvfarmgirl said...

YD,
If you freeze the maters, you don't need to blanch them. I just give them a quick cleaning, core them, cut out any bad spots, then shove them in the freezer on a baking sheet. Once they're frozen I'll put them in a ziploc bag.

The good thing about freezing, is that when they thaw the skin comes right off! Which in my book, is way better than dipping them in boiling water for 30 seconds then burning your fingers trying to get the skin off because you're too impatient to wait for them to cool. :)