Some people despise change. Me? I love it! Change is good! Especially when that change has to do with our rescue website.
You’ve probably been wondering why I haven’t been blogging much lately. Don’t worry, I haven’t lost interest in blogging. In fact, I enjoy it more now, after 510 posts, then I did after 10 posts. It’s just that my wonderful webmaster decided that Wordpress would be the way to go with the site and had me hook, line, and sinker as soon as I saw what I could do with it. I’m just easy like that. I’ve spent the past few nights hammering away at the new site, bought our own horsehavenhollow.org domain, and discovered a few new curse words that I didn’t know I knew.
Wait… Horse Haven Hollow? You mean I’m actually going to spell it correctly now? Well, yeah. The plan is to apply for 501c3 charity status before the end of the year and to do that, we have to change our business license from sole proprietorship to LLC (and come up with a boatload of money), and we’ll go ahead and change the name at the same time. We may lose a few of the locals when we do it, but such is life. “Holler” was just a joke in the beginning -- we were in WV, that’s how everyone pronounced it, and did we really think we’d get this rescue off the ground and still be at it more than two years later? When I checked the latest stats and realized we were closing in on the 100 mark for rescued horses (not including the babies born here, and only counting returned rescues once), it finally hit me that maybe this thing was real. Maybe, just maybe, we were doing something right. So it was only fitting that we corrected our spelling.
The new website is up and here are a few of the new pages that are either on there now, or coming soon:
1) How you can help page
2) How to report abuse and neglect in West Virginia
3) A listing of horses ‘free to good homes’ that are not owned by us, and are listed to help people that want to find good homes for their horses and don’t want them ending up at the auction. I’ll do the reference and facility check (within a reasonable distance), but the transfer of ownership will be completely up to the owner of the horse(s). I have several young purebred, but unregistered, Arabian geldings that I need to get up there tomorrow night for anyone interested!
4) The Rescue Recoveries and Training the Unwanted blogs will now be on Wordpress and accessible through the new site. I’ve still got a lot of posts to move over from Blogger, but a few of the more recent posts are there now.
5) The Success Stories page is now part of the Wordpress blog. I’ll be doing one monthly update with the horses adopted that month, rather than listing them willy nilly.
This blog will stay on Blogger, where it’s made a place for itself and is quite content to stay -- much like Stormy on my couch.
So go check out the new website and let me know what you think. And be honest! I can take it. I think.
Lucille says “thank you” for being there for us. And send more cookies.
4 comments:
The first thing that I saw was the spacing between lines. To me, just my opinion, there is to much spacing. I like to see a picture of the horse and as much information about the horse as possible on the screen at once.
I agree! Unfortunately, that's a wordpress plug in that automatically formats the "inventory" and I'm not sure I have the brains to change the code. But I will give it a go!
I've not liked at the new site yet...but just HAD to comment on Lucille. Good Gawd, she's a total doll!! Love me some Lucille!!!
That should be looked. Not liked.
Post a Comment