Thursday, August 19, 2010

Pony Updates

It’s been awhile since I’ve shown you the remaining Fairmont horses, so I thought we’d start with the pony mares and gelding first.  Blondie, Casper, and River are all that’s left.  I put up electric fence in the yard for them so they have a place of their own, complete with shelter.  When I first brought them here, Casper and Riley stuck their noses on the electric fence and never went near it again.  The girls were smart enough to take their word for it!

Blondie is the boss of the three, but she’s a just and generous ruler most days.  But just so you know, this is her hay, and you can’t have any.

 

I put Riley in with the other studs three days ago.  Blondie missed him for about 10 minutes, then went on with her life of eating and bossing Casper and River around.  I still see Riley standing at the fence once in awhile, gazing wistfully across the driveway at his mother.  The other studs accepted him immediately as one of their own and I really need to get a picture of him standing completely under Don Juan at the hay roll.

This is my favorite pony of all time.  River is the sweetest little mare EVER.  The problem is that she’s getting bigger.  And bigger…  I guess we have a fall/winter foal to look forward to.

 

Casper couldn’t ask for a better life.  He’s got two beautiful women living with him and all he does all day is eat.  Every man’s dream!

If this fog ever lifts today, I’ll get pictures of the studs to show you tomorrow.  I’m hoping to get the go ahead to start castrating in September once the weather cools!  The bad news is that Don Juan is definitely a cryptorchid – Doc can’t find that right testicle anywhere, even when DJ is under sedation.  That means hauling him to a equine hospital in Ohio and paying for expensive surgery.  I’m excited about getting them castrated, but not excited about the expense!

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

ponies!!! i love picture of blondie with the hay on her. :)