Sunday, February 1, 2009

Meltdown

It was 49 degrees and sunny today, which was a nice respite from the frigid cold, snow, and freezing rain of the past few weeks.  Not only did the sun melt most of the ice from our driveway and snow from our pastures, but it provided the perfect opportunity to trim some hooves, spray the rain rot victims with anti-fungal stuff, and let the chickens out in the pen for the first time.

Did I mention that we have chickens now?  Actual egg laying hens that are cute and cuddly and won't have their heads chopped off any time soon.  Some friends gave us six hens last Sunday and we've had them locked up in the coop all week.   Three of the hens are younger and won't start laying for another month or two, but we still got eleven eggs in a week from the other three.

I would love to show you pictures, but I have lost track of the camera.  Yes, again.  *sigh*

What I really wanted to share with you today is the fact that Glenn and I are truly pathetic.  Like you didn't know that already?

Once the hoof trimming and rain rot soaking were done we hauled some chairs out to the chicken coop, planted our butts in the sun, and just watched our chickens scratch around in the grass.  For an hour.  In jeans and t-shirts.

We listened to the water running down the pastures and into the pond and the chickens clucking and cooing.  Heidi sat with us, intently sniffing the air and studying the new additions to the farm.  We didn't speak much unless it was to say something to one of the chickens as they wondered close.   I had my thoughts and Glenn had his, but when I asked him what he was thinking he only had four words to say "Can't wait for Spring".   Yup, that's what I was thinking too.

2 comments:

warren said...

Wasn't the sun marvelous?! I was pretty pathetic as well!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

It's still cold to be doing that up here. Enjoy the sun!