Fugly posted this link on her blog today and it's something that I'm passionate about, so I thought I'd share for those of you that don't read FHOTD.
http://www.kaufmanzoning.net/foiaphotos.html
These graphic photos are of horses that went from backyard, to auction house, to double-decker trailer on the way to slaughter. For those that don't know, double-decker trailers were built for cattle, NOT horses. The height of each level is too short for most horses so they are forced to stoop or lie down during the long haul to Canada or Mexico. The horses are packed in like sardines and those lying down typically get trampled, kicked, and mauled by those still standing. Not to mention the foals, the sick and lame, or the very old horses that can't stand for long periods of time. They have no choice but to lay down and take their chances.
Hauling horses in double-decker trailers is illegal in a lot of states, but enforcing that law is difficult at best. The odds of getting caught and the fines if you do are not enough to discourage the practice.
I can't look at those pictures without remembering the horses that were whipped onto meat buyer trailers that day at Sugarcreek, without thinking of the racehorses still wearing racing plates, or the frightened young Belgian that stole our hearts. But I also think of Sadie sitting out in the pasture munching on a hay roll right now. How, when I took off her blanket this morning, she rubbed her head against my arm to scratch the itchy places, then followed me back down to the gate hoping for treats. How she runs around the field with the herd on warm Spring-like days and doesn't show any signs of lameness at all. How she and Junior nuzzle together after dinner. How she and Kita sleep side by side in the sun.
And I think about how I can't wait to do it all over again.
3 comments:
I have one question...when can we go back? :)
Why are humans so cruel? What did those horses(or any other animals) ever do to deserve such cruelty? It makes me very sad and angry seeing such things.
Keep doing what you do.
i squeezed in time today to email all my reps in washington about the two bills (HR 503 and HR305). i referenced the pitures from the USDA.
i'm ready to go back anytime...because it sounds like i've lost sadie to you :-)
i'm just soooo happy that she is soooooo happy. and soon she and i and you and kita will be riding together.
Post a Comment