Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gardening in a straight jacket

I think I've finally worked out the gardening list for this year.  Maybe.  There may be some minor tweaking as I go along, but for now, this is it.  Please don't feel obliged to read through the list.  Please don't think it necessary to dial 911 either.   But would someone please please please question my sanity on planting 35 different varieties of heirloom tomatoes?

Oh wait, someone already has.  In the form of "HOW many more garden beds do you expect me to build???"

But never mind him, he needs more to do anyway.

Since my personal laptop has been down for awhile now, I don't have access to my gardening database and have had to make do with an Excel spreadsheet.  I have veggie/fruit type, name, vendor, sku, price, days to maturity, height, price, how many seeds come in a packet, and how many I want to plant.  That last one is the kicker.  That's the number that keeps changing depending on my mood and alignment of the stars.  That's the dangerous number.  For instance, 35 tomato varieties is not that bad.  But I like to plant at least two of most varieties.  Paste tomato varieties usually get two or three buddies to hang with.  So if I break out my calculator (not enough fingers and toes for this one) that gives me at minimum 70 tomato plants.

Then you have to add the fudge factor to that.  If I want two plants, then I should sow at least four seeds to make sure two survive.  This may seem like sound thinking to some, but in my case it's detrimental to my sanity.   Inevitably, all four seedlings will germinate and grow into beautiful plants that I can't bear to toss into the compost pile.   Anastasia is probably reading this and thinking "but you're growing some for me this year too!"  Which means if I want two and she wants three, I have to sow at least eight.  

In the end it all means that I need a greenhouse.  A really big greenhouse.

Good thing Glenn has nothing to do.

Oh!  I almost forgot the list. :)

Amaranth Love Lies Bleeding
Artichoke Green Globe
Basil Dark Purple Opal Basil
Basil Genovese Basil
Basil Lettuce Leaf
Basil Lime Basil
Basil Siam Queen Thai Basil
Bean Chinese Red Noodle
Bean Dragon Langeri
Bean Purple Trionfo Violetto (pole)
Beet Crapaudine
Beet Cylindra
Beet Golden Beet
Borage Blue Borage
Borage White Borage
Broccoli Calabrese
Broccoli Early Purple Sprouting
Broccoli Nutribud
Brussels Sprouts Catskill
Cabbage Mammoth Red Rock
Cabbage Perfection Drumhead Savoy
Carrot Amarillo Yellow
Carrot Atomic Red
Carrot Cosmic Purple
Carrot Snow White
Carrot St. Valery Orange
Chard Bright Lights
Cilantro Slo-Bolt Cilantro
Collards Vates
Corn Argent
Corn Chires Baby Corn
Corn Sugar Buns
Cucumber Boston Pickling
Cucumber Dragon's Egg
Cucumber Little Tyke
Cucumber Parisian Pickling 
Cucumber Yamato Extra Long (Japanese)
Eggplant Blush
Eggplant Casper
Eggplant Ebony King
Eggplant Pandora Striped Rose
Eggplant Rosa Bianca
Eggplant Ukranian Beauty
Endive De Louviers
Fennel Florence Fennel
Gourds Crown of Thorns
Greens Extra Dwarf Pak Choy
Greens Japanese Giant Red Mustard
Greens Tyfon (Holland Greens)
Herb Lemongrass
Herb Parsley - Italian
Kale Nero Kitoscana
Kohlrabi Early White Vienna
Leek Carantan
Lettuce Pinetree Lettuce Mix
Lima Bean King of the Garden
Melon Banana
Melon Boule D'or
Melon Charentais
Melon Crane
Melon Kansas
Melon Million Dollar
Melon Prescott Fond Blanc
Melon Thai Golden Round
Melon Valencia Winter Melon
Onion Ailsa Craigh Exhibition
Onion Crimson Forest (bunching/bulbing)
Onion Egyptian Walking Onions
Onion He Shi Ko Bunching
Onion Southport Red Globe
Parsley Triple Curled
Pea Knight
Pea Mr. Big
Pea, Snap Cascadia
Pepper, Hot Black Hungarian
Pepper, Hot Lemon Drop
Pepper, Hot Tabasco
Pepper, Sweet Chocolate Beauty
Pepper, Sweet Orange Sun
Pepper, Sweet Pimento
Pepper, Sweet Quadrato D'Asti Giallo
Pepper, Sweet Quadrato D'Asti Rosso
Potato All Blue
Potato All Red
Potato, Sweet Vardeman (Bush)
Pumpkin Howden
Radicchio Rossa Di Verona A Palla "Dragon"
Radish French Golden
Radish Green Heart Daikon
Radish Purple Plum
Radish Watermelon
Roselle Red Roselle
Rutabaga American Purple Top
Salsify Mammoth Sandwich Island
Shallot Shallots
Spinach Giant Noble
Squash, Summer Benning's Green Tint Scallop
Squash, Summer Green Bush Vegetable Marrow
Squash, Summer Lebanese White Bush Marrow
Squash, Winter Black Futsu
Squash, Winter Buttercup
Squash, Winter Cream of the Crop
Squash, Winter Jarradale
Squash, Winter Turks Cap
Tomatillo Pineapple
Tomato Anna Russian
Tomato Barnes Mountain Yellow
Tomato Bloody Butcher
Tomato Break O'Day
Tomato Carbon
Tomato Chocolate Stripes
Tomato Delicious
Tomato Egg Yolk
Tomato Green Pineapple
Tomato Green Skin Long Keeper
Tomato Green Zebra
Tomato Hazelfield Farm
Tomato Japanese Black Trifele
Tomato Jerry's German Giant
Tomato Mountain Princess
Tomato Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge
Tomato Pineapple
Tomato Pink German Tree Tomato
Tomato Tlacolula Pink
Tomato White Oxheart
Tomato White Tomesol
Tomato White Zebra
Tomato, Cherry Black Cherry
Tomato, Cherry White Cherry
Tomato, Currant Tess's Land Race Currant
Tomato, Paste Amish Paste
Tomato, Paste Bonny Best
Tomato, Paste Huge Lemon Oxheart
Tomato, Paste Joe Thienemann's Australian Heart
Tomato, Paste Mama Leone
Tomato, Paste Orange Oxheart
Tomato, Paste Pink Oxheart
Tomato, Paste Polish Linguisa
Tomato, Paste Roma
Tomato, Paste Speckled Roman
Turnip Petrowski
Watermelon Gold Baby
Watermelon Orangeglo
Watermelon Sweet Siberian (apricot colored)
Watermelon White Wonder
Watermelon Will's Sugar

6 comments:

LeatherneckJoe said...

Garden Harvest Supply is a good online source for plant information. They also have potted garden plants if you get in a time pinch. http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/category/home-garden-plants-potted

Anonymous said...

noooo!!! do not encourage her! she needs a 12 step program :)

warren said...

Great list! It isn't far off now!

Lena said...

I love it!

Come on over and visit my new gardening blog and you can see our new Lakeside Veggie Garden. That should give your man some ideas.
Better yet, if you have seeds left over, send them to me!!!
Have you considered that you may have to add on to your pantry to fit all the canned goods? :-)

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

My friend, you are nuts! But don't worry, I am too. I thought I was the only who would write down the pricing, how many seeds in a package...but I didn't have a spreadsheet. Well, Glenn better rest up for the next few months because come spring, he's got LOTS of work to do.
I'm like you when it comes to tossing seedlings away. You are right, they are perfectly beautiful plants, how can I bear to cut one off and save the other?
I think I need to go back and "study" your list again.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed!! I just wish I was able to garden this summer. I'm going to go to Morgantown and get some raspberry canes from the old farmer I bought hay from but beyond that, what am I going to have time for?!!!

A definite yes: moving my rose collection. And getting good starts from all of my herbs. Ugh...how about digging up my entire herb garden and moving it too!!

I would really love to do a set or two of blue potatoes. We'll just have to see how it goes!!