Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My brain hurts.

I'm a faithful reader of fuglyhorseoftheday.blogspot.com. I check it out every day, comment when the urge hits, and generally agree with most of the people there about horse care. I appropriately gasp in horror when she "outs" an abusive horse owner or unethical rescue organization and I equally jump for joy when a horse is literally pulled from the jaws of death at an auction and sent to a good home instead. I also understand WHY she does what she does. Until I started reading the blog I really was "color blind" and couldn't see past the pretty paint stallion to the awful conformation and thought that "wow, of course he should be stallion". That blog has opened my eyes to back yard breeders who pump out mediocre foal after mediocre foal just so they end up at a kill buyer auction when no one else wants to buy them, and to what happens when thoroughbreds or standardbreds no longer win at the track. My years of working with the AHPA and ERL in VA when I was younger only gave me a "feel" for what was happening in the horse world, not the big picture.

So this is the kind of thing I expect when I bring up the FHOTD site every day. This is not what I found on there today. If you're curious, go check it out. I really just need to get it out of my system so I won't go into further detail here. Besides, I'm trying to keep this blog clean. That's the way it should be when it comes to animals. Enough said.

No comments: