
Play time usually means "everyone gang up on Heidi cause if she runs we can't catch her anyway". Today Brie chose to pick on Zeus, who loved the attention and has a secret crush on Brie. Heidi just chased Brie around barking at her the whole time saying "chase me! chase me!".

After play time was over and everyone was taking a break, Jack had to go over and make sure his canine buddy was ok.

"OMG! Are those laugh lines? And where'd my puppish figure go?? Is that a double-chin???"

I can't wait to get chickens and guinea hens. And apparently, I'm not the only impatient one. This is one of Jilly's favorite spots -- the door to the chicken coop!

Those that know Cody and read my blog keep asking "where's the pictures of Cody???". Everyone who meets him loves him. Yes, he looks like he could take your arm off, but he's really the sweetest dog and wouldn't hurt a fly. He's afraid of his own shadow and loud noises, shares his food with the cats, and gets along with anything on four legs (and most two-leggers).
I got Cody from a rescue when he was four months old. The rescue had found him and his two sisters and mother somewhere in WV. When they found the dogs, mom was tied to a post in the middle of a yard at an abandoned home with no shelter, food, or water. She was emaciated and had given all she had to the pups. Knowing her pups were in good hands, she quietly died on the way back to Maryland. Cody's two sisters were rambunctious and outgoing, while Cody would roll over on his belly and lay his ears back when approached by a stranger. It took years for him to get past that to become the dog he is today. Now he's 11 years old, a little arthritic, but really none the worse for wear. And he is definitly the patriarch of the pack! He doesn't put up with any nonsense from the pups if he's not in the mood and they know when to swing wide of him if he's grumpy!
My last pic of the day is of Junior and Mav playing in the field. I've really been surprised at how well Junior has bonded with the little guy. Junior has been with only mares for so many years I thought he'd ignore Maverick more than anything. Yesterday at lunch we were outside for a bit watching them. A thunderstorm blew in pretty quickly and we watched as Junior moved to Mavericks' side and used himself to block Mav from the rain and wind. They were so close their bellies were touching and they just stood there until the rain stopped. Then it was off their separate ways to stuff their faces once again.

4 comments:
Your life sounds like a great adventure. Thanks for sharing.
Angela... thank you so much for leaving a comment! I'm glad someone other than me reads my blog. :)
I read it too! Well....ahem, actually just found it yesterday from your comment on another farm girl's blog (yes, foodiefarmgirl!). Now I read yours as well....dreaming of the day when I will be as brave as you and take the leap. :-) Thanks for all the wonderful stories, and for your compassion in rescuing animals in need. :-)
Thank you, Lena! I hope you find the opportunity to take the leap someday, it really is worth it! So far there's been no looking back and no regrets! Well... the only regret we have is not having done this sooner. :)
Post a Comment