Each winter I impatiently await the new seed catalogs, go over them at least five times each, enter favorites in my database for planting reference later, create lists upon lists of what I want to plant, how many I need (want), and how much everything is going to cost. I spend days, sometimes weeks, creating a garden plan of what needs to go where, which companion plants are best for each crop, which antagonist plants to put far away. This keeps me busy during the winter months when there's snow on the ground and no greenhouse to play in.
Then all of that careful planning over the winter is completely thrown out the window once Spring arrives and the garden is ready to be planted. I can't help it. I just start planting willy nilly and hope everything comes out ok. Most years, it does. Last year I put up 75 quarts of just pickles. Two kinds of dill spears and two types of sweet slices. We gave away a lot, but we also ate a lot of those jars ourselves. Add to that the jars of sweet relish, cherry tomato and ginger marinade, tomato sauce, chili, pickled peppers, green beans, mushrooms, and hot pepper relish. And don't forget the many frozen eggplant parmesan and zucchini casserole dishes that warmed us on cold winter nights. Or the frozen bell peppers that I added to stir frys and pizza. Or the yellow ruffled tomatoes that I had stuffed and frozen to be enjoyed in January when company was here. The garden feeds us and keeps us healthy in the winter with organically grown goodness.
And last but not least, the garden provides a great place for napping.

3 comments:
Love your garden post. Especially the cat-nap. :-) What a cutie. I'll have to take a pic of my german shepherd napping just outside my garden gate...sighing heavily because i'm pulling weeds instead of playing ball with him.
Anyways - I just wanted to say: ME TOO! I love walking around my new veggie garden, seeing what has grown, what hasn't :-(, and what dares to attack my precious plants. This is my first (own) veggie garden and I'm having a blast! Friendly greetings from a SC gardener. Red clay is (not) my friend. :-)
Lena,
I used to live in Burgaw, NC which isn't far from Wilmington and the SC boarder. I feel your pain on the red clay! Just remember that raised beds ARE your friends and they're easy! Build a one this year and start throwing stuff in it.. straw, brush, grass clippings, couple bags of compost and top soil, kitchen scraps. By next year you'll have a raised bed that's ready to plant in and your plants will be so much happier!
No go play ball! :)
Looks like you do not discriminate with you breeds, LOL Love the little Appaloosa!
I am really jealous of your life on the farm makes me wish things in TN had turned out different.
TCIF
Post a Comment