Maverick is still a stud muffin.
I took the day off today so I could get Mav to the vet for his gelding appointment at 12:30. Just to confirm everything was still a go for launch I gave the vet a call this morning around 8:30. This time I must have got someone who actually knew what she was talking about and didn't rely on the phase of the moon or the alignment of the stars when it came to veterinary medicine. When I mentioned my name and that I was bringing in the cryptorchid colt for gelding today, she actually knew what I was talking about! When I had made the appt weeks ago I got Moonchild on the phone and had to explain what cryptorchid meant -- that only one of his testicles had dropped. With a normal stud, both testicles are down, it only requires mild sedation, snip snip, 150 bucks and you now have a bouncing baby gelding. With a cryptorchid colt you're talking put 'em under surgery and about 600 bucks. I had told Moonchild this when I called to make the appt. She said no problem, bring him in at 12:30. Well, okie dokie then we'll be there with bells on and leave without them.
This morning when I called I actually got someone who studied veterinary medicine instead of astrology. But she was rude about the whole thing, telling me there was no way they could do surgery like that today, and how dare I even ask them to consider it. So instead of taking Mav to the vet today we spent the morning beefing up the fence between the boys and the girls, and apologizing to Junior for not being able to let him in with his woman yet.
I may end up taking Mav back to the same vet at some point if I can't find anyone else with more intelligent vet techs. But for now, he's still a sweet, sane, friendly little boy who enjoys scratches, running around the field with big sticks in his mouth, and making mud pies with his butt. The fence is secure and until he grows tall enough to reach the mares or turns into the dominant stallion from hell, I may just let him keep his danglies for a bit longer. But he definitely gets cut before next winter since both of our barns are in the same pasture and I don't want to keep the girls out in the cold.
4 comments:
Hey you aren't too far from me! Congrats on following your dreams! :) Looks like we have a lot in common! I have lotsa pets too and rescue anything that needs help :) luckily my husband has a soft spot for animals too :)
Have you ridden the rail trail yet? I used to work at North Bend.
wvcountrygrl -- I haven't been to the rail trail yet, there's just been so much to do around here! But I've been riding the girls 4-5 times a week trying to get them in shape. Shoot me an email, I'm always looking for riding buddies and I've got some really nice trails around here!
I didn't see your email address but I'm pretty new to blogging n stuff. How many horses do you have? I have 4, 3 geldings and one mare, she's my babydoll :) We have 2 dogs and 6 cats too. We live on a farm that was my husband's grandparents and he bought it after they passed away. I love it here. The only thing I wish I could change is me having to work so much and being away from the farm.
I love riding from Ellenboro to NB and eating at the lodge then riding back. They have hitching posts by the lodge and let people ride their hiking trails. It's pretty cool.
Well I better get back to cleaning, I have company coming tmr!
wvcountrygrl - you didn't see my email because oops, I forgot to add it. :) You can email me at sillyfilly72@yahoo.com.
I would LOVE to do the Ellenboro to NB ride! Sounds like a blast!
Post a Comment