I’m beat.
Glenn left again Friday night to get back out on the road driving and I’m already missing his strength around the farm. Yesterday wasn’t so bad since it was raining and I kept myself inside with a playful kitten most the day. It was nice. It was restful. It was incredibly boring.
Today was sunny and beautiful and there was no way I was hanging out in the house. Sorry Lucky!
After feeding everyone and making sure the young chickens survived their first night in the outhouse coop, I played around with my baby boys a bit. I worked with Quill and Buddy on picking up their feet and they’re both doing really well. Buddy has been adopted and is getting gelded next week, so I’m trying to put as much time into his manners as I can before he goes. Quill has finally turned a corner with his attitude towards human interaction and is becoming quite an affectionate boy. He used to just tolerate being touched, but now he actually seeks out attention and enjoys a good head rub. Woohoo!
Oh, and then… there’s Sky. From bad boy to mama’s boy in just a few days:
Yes, he’s got his head in my lap. I have waited five long months to be able to cuddle with this little guy and after a few days of tentatively rubbing his head while he was eating, he finally decided that humans weren’t all that bad after all. I can rub him all over, I got a halter on him with no fuss last week, and he’s learning to lead. He comes to the fence for attention whenever someone is standing there, and thinks a neck scratch is best thing that has ever happened to him.
After playing with the boys I rode Cheyenne for a bit, since she’s leaving next weekend. She’s been doing great and is more than ready to head off into the sunset with Rosa! Then it was off to get hay – why do those 1000lb hay rolls seem like they’re getting heavier every week?? Break my back unloading the hay rolls, then load up the water tanks and head back to town for water.
Somewhere in between the boys and water I unloaded and setup way too many 10’ dog kennel panels that someone graciously gave us when they moved away. I won’t reveal what the kennel is for just yet, but it won’t be used for dogs. It’s a surprise, and you’re just going to have to wait!
By then it was after 4pm, so time to feed again. Then I took Kita for a trail ride, but ran out of daylight before we got too far. It’s been way too long since I rode my favorite girl, but she was an absolute champ about it and wasn’t ready to turn for home when I asked. I so love that mare!
During the week I dread 6:30… that’s when the light starts to fade from the sky and there’s still so much I need to do outside. But today I was relieved when I turned Kita for home and knew the dark would beat us home – that meant I could go inside, get something to eat, and RELAX!
Look for more interesting things happening in the next couple of weeks: Buddy, Patches, and Cheyenne leaving, a starving TB stallion coming in on Thursday from Virginia, a 13yo kid-safe TB gelding coming in next weekend, and Horse Haven Holler’s first public event on November 7th at the Tractor Supply in Marietta, OH! Be there or be square! :)
1 comment:
Sounds like a great weekend to me! Back-breaking work is hard, but I hope you get to pause and relax in the evenings, take stock of all you've accomplished and enjoy some of your garden bounty! I'm impressed! :-)
Post a Comment