Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Brave New World

I decided today would be the day that the “baby” hens in the outhouse coop should be set free to help demolish the bug population.  The problem, is that two of the hens have actually grown into very beautiful roosters.  Four roosters on one farm, with only twenty hens to share?  This could mean trouble!  I couldn’t possibly butcher Rambo and Billy Badass, as they’ve done a wonderful job protecting and leading the older hens and guineas.  The two new roosters are just beautiful, therefore, immune to Glenn’s knife.  We’ll just have to see how it goes.

But first, there’s the whole setting free idea that the young hens didn’t exactly understand.

Hey guys!  The door is open!!!

Picture 012 

 

Yeah, but it looks pretty scary out there. 

Picture 014

 

I think we should let the men go first.

Picture 016

 

But wait, I see BUGS!!!!!

Picture 017

 

The Americauna rooster was the first chicken brave enough to step out the door.  Isn’t he just gorgeous??

Picture 021 

He was followed closely by the other rooster, who didn’t want to seem like a total wimp.  Rooster #2 later escaped back into the coop when no one else was looking.

Picture 022

 

It took about 15 minutes, but eventually all of the birds had at least taken a few steps out of the coop.  Most had gone back in within minutes, and no one got more than 10’ from the coop.   I’m sure by tomorrow they’ll all be wandering the farm in search of bugs.

Check out Mr. Tom Turkey with his two pure white Americauna girlfriends.  I just love Tom, he’s so curious and friendly.  I give him two weeks before he’s marching into the house to see what’s going on.

Picture 034

 

I suppose the birds could have had good reason to head back into the outhouse… as I was snapping pictures I came across this, right around the corner from the outhouse door.

 Picture 024

 

That’s a face that’s just looking for trouble.  Or food.

No comments: