Sunday, July 19, 2009

Willpower

Normally, I have none.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.  Especially when it comes to kittens or puppies.  Or ice cream.  Or chocolate.  Or peaches, cherries, strawberries, blueberries…   I could go on, but you get the drift.  So when I was invited to a cookout at the Olive Branch Rescue today, it should surprise and impress you that I did not come home with one of these.

Picture 027

Picture 032

Picture 030

Picture 025

 

They were cute.  They were cuddly.  They really wanted to chew on my fingers.  So I let them. 

This one had better things to chew on, but he still tried so desperately to impress me.

Picture 040

 

As I walked away, their crying and whimpering broke my heart. 

 

I tried so hard not to go back into the cat house.  I did, I really truly did.  I had already been in there once, for just a minute, and the overflowing kitten population had just been too much.  I was afraid if I went back in, I’d bring one home.  Or two.  Or ten.  I told myself in no uncertain terms was I going back in there.

 

Of course I did.  Was there any doubt??

Picture 018

 

Picture 022

 

Oh no, I’ve been spotted.

Picture 019

 

Oh kitten, please don’t.  You just don’t understand how weak I am.

Picture 020

 

Or maybe you do.

Picture 021

 

That one was so close to coming home with me.  I can’t tell you what a close call it was.  When I finally clawed and pulled myself out of the cat house, I felt relief wash over me at the freedom I had gained.  Yes!  I had done it!  I had proven to myself that I did at least have a smidgen of willpower.

Then this rubbed against my leg and purred.

Picture 013

 

I made the mistake of petting the needy little thing for a minute, then it wouldn’t leave my side.  He followed me everywhere and I was afraid he would jump in the truck with me and I’d be forced to take him home.  Luckily, someone else petted him and he became their problem. 

It was a long hard day fraught with emotion, danger around every corner, and a tremendous sense of inadequacy. 

One that I wish to repeat tomorrow, please.

3 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

It is so hard to leave a rescue place/shelter without taking one or all of them. We can only do so much.

Lena said...

Phew - I'm glad you escaped! :-)
Love the pictures and the way you write!
I guess critters know when they spot a good, caring person like you.

wvfarmgirl said...

More like the animals can read the great big "SUCKER" sticker I have on my forehead! A friend from OB emiled me today to let me know that someone had brought in an emaciated boxer/lab cross with five puppies and boy were they "so cute!"

Apparently people can see the big "SUCKER" label too.