Since the death of Bertha truck, we've not been hauling water from town for the main herd anymore. We opened up the electric fence so they could share the spring-fed tank with the bachelors in the back, and so far it's been handling all 20 horses just fine. In the Winter we have to worry about the line to the tank freezing, which usually doesn't happen until the temps get below 15 degrees. In the late Summer and Fall, there sometimes isn't enough water flow to keep it full for just three horses. But in the Spring and early Summer, the spring is overflowing with water and the tank is typically overflowing as well.
Not anymore. Either the line is clogged or busted at some point because after we brought home more hay rolls yesterday I checked the tank and there was about an inch of water left in the tank. It was so low that only the long-necked giraffes like Junior and Kita could reach it. We loaded the water tank onto the trailer, hitched it to Bessie, and headed to town. Since Bessie is only 2wd, we kept the water tanks right beside the gate, up near the road for ease of access when it rains. However, in my ultimate wisdom, I had decided since it was so dry, to take the hay rolls up the ridge to the barn and unroll them down the hill of death earlier -- my thinking was that they hay would be closer to the spring-fed tank.
We tried calling the horses to the water, but it was dark and they were more interested in standing at the spring-fed tank pawing at the mud around it. So while Glenn took a flashlight and tried to fix the line to the tank, I took a couple of halters and lead ropes and started leading the horses to the water. Two by two.
I had gotten everyone in the main herd to the water by 11pm. Glenn had gotten enough of a trickle out of the line to the tank for Quest and Stride to be able to reach it, but not Maverick. Back into town we went for another load of water. This load went to the boys in the back and fortunately, they came when I called them and drank their fill.
We fell into bed by 12:30. You'd think I'd be able to sleep after all of that, right?
I love being an insomniac.
No comments:
Post a Comment