Saturday, March 7, 2009

Wascally Wabbits

After riding Tabby and Chessy today we went to town for our monthly Tractor Supply run. I needed a new lunge line and a couple of latches and double-ended snaps, and we had a few groceries we needed to pick up as well.

We walked into Tractor Supply and moseyed up to the new rabbit cages where five little bunnies hopped around playing with each other. I was content to stop briefly, say hello, wiggle a finger through the cage, then keep going to the equine section. Glenn had other ideas. First the bottom lip protruded just a little. This is a sure sign that he's going to act like a kid in a candy store and tell me he wants something, whether he's serious or just yanking my chain.

"I want a bunny."

Right after I picked my jaw up off the not so clean floor in front of the rabbit cages, I asked him if he were serious. He seemed a bit embarrassed, but said he was serious. Well, ok then. Who am I to say no? They're cute, cuddly, adorable little critters. Of course I want one, I just couldn't believe he did.

They were also selling these cheapo little hutches, complete with a bag of food, water bottle, feeder, cedar chips, and a couple other odds and ends for 60 bucks. The 4 week old rabbits were 10 bucks a piece -- way over priced, I know. But they are so darned cute. We debated on the hutches then decided we could build one ourselves. Maybe not for less money, but it would last a heck of a lot longer and perhaps survive the cats and dogs a bit better. We got what we could at Tractor Supply, then headed over to Lowe's for lumber and screws.

On the way home, little Travis rode on my shoulder looking out the window while Loretta sat in Glenn's lap. We were completely smitten within minutes.

Once we were home, we set to work building the hutch. After a few arguments and way too much time, we eventually got it done. Or at least done enough for tonight. We still need a couple of doors, a divider, and a solid top. But at least our new little buddies are safe, with plenty of room to romp and play. Travis is the solid black one.

Picture 001

4 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

They are so cute! Who's the white and gray one?
I take it Travis is your new baby and the other is Glenn's?

wvfarmgirl said...

We couldn't get just one bunny, or it would be terribly lonely. Glenn named them both after singers we heard on the radio on the way home. He's just original like that. I think Loretta is his fav, and mine is Travis just cause he so small and not as friendly as Loretta.

Sylvia said...

So cute! I had bunnies when I was a kid. I showed them at the County fair...along with horses too... of course!

How's the CDL training going?

wvfarmgirl said...

Ah.... CDL. That's a sore subject at the moment. He failed it again on Friday. Now I'm getting into the whole studying thing this week and hopefully... maybe... crossing fingers... he'll pass it this Friday. I think I could pass it at this point!

It's been nice having him around so far this week, as he got quite a bit done yesterday! The honey-do list is both shrinking and growing as I add more to the list.

I know, I'm evil.