I made the mistake of sending Glenn to the grocery store by himself the other day, not realizing that mushrooms were on sale for .39 cents a package. This is what he came home with:
He even stacked them for the picture. But first he had to roll his eyes when I told him not to start processing them until I got a picture for the blog.
The silver lining was that all those mushrooms turned into twenty three of these with very little help from me.
Glenn followed the recipe all by his lonesome… and they’re actually good. Amazing.
Warren, sorry it took so long!
Marinated Mushrooms
7 pounds small, whole, fresh white mushrooms
1/2 cup bottled lemon juice of the juice of 4 medium lemons
2 cups olive oil
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon canning salt
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, quartered
25 whole black peppercorns
Wash the mushrooms and cut stems short. Add lemon juice and water to cover in saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Drain well.
Mix olive oil, vinegar, herbs, and salt in a saucepan. Add onion and heat to boiling.
Divide peppercorns and garlic among jars. Fill pint jars with mushrooms, add hot oil and vinegar solution to each jar, leaving 1/2” headspace. Cap and seal.
Process in a boiling water bath canner for 20 minutes.
6 comments:
AWESOME! I never met a mushroom I didn't love. I just elbowed my wife to tell her to buy up mushrooms if she ever sees them on sale!
WHERE were said mushrooms .39/pack?!
WANT
ALDI!!! I don't know if you have one down your way or not. It's a small grocery store with limited variety and usually only one cashier. But the prices can't be beat!
YES! There's an Aldi at Newpointe. I'm so there. :)
So when are you getting one of those kits to grow your own? :-)
(Oups - like you need another project, right? Dang it - I always do that to you!!!!)
Recipe looks yummy. I may have to try it. We love mushrooms too. Although maybe not as much as Glenn.
Looks yummy. Good job Glenn!
Post a Comment