Thursday, March 12, 2009

Random Lunch -- 03/12/09

Are they ready yet?

 

Picture 001

 

 

 

How 'bout these?

 

Picture 004

 

 

 

THESE???

 

Picture 003

 

Fine.  Wake me up when they're ready to go into the garden.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You temptress, you!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Soon, very soon.

Anonymous said...

And the madness begins! Operation Green Thumb prepare for take off!

warren said...

They are looking good but this durn snow is killing me!!!

Lena said...

They look great! :-)
I have a few questions - my seedlings always turn out tall and skinny - how much light do you give yours? Do you supply artificial light or just from a window? Or do you have a greenhouse?

wvfarmgirl said...

Lena,
I only WISH I had a greenhouse!

Tall skinny seedlings means not enough light. I just use your basic cheapo shop lights with cool flourescents. The "grow" lights that are more expensive, also get a lot hotter and can burn the tops of your seedlings. The light needs to be within an inch or two of the tops of the seedlings. I leave the lights on 14-16 hours a day. I also use bottom heat under the soil to encourage germination. My lettuce and spinach germinated within 36 hours. My tomatoes started germinating in three days. Peppers and eggplants especially appreciate the bottom heat!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I have the same problem as Lena, always tall and skinny. I think next year I'll by a heat pad for bottom heat. Thanks!

Lena said...

"Honey - I have a project for you this weekend!!!!!"

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping it was the light which would be easy to remedy. :-)

I wish I had a greenhouse too. I keep looking at the ones people have on craigslist...sigh.

Janis Bland said...

Ooh, you must visit my blog and BuzzardBilly (http://buzzardbilly.blogspot.com), and Phoebe Fay (http://phoebefay.blogspot.com), and W.Va. Fur and Root (http://wvfurandroot.wordpress.com). We have all sorts of garden porn going on!

I hadn't thought of putting heat under my sprouter thingies. Good idea!