It was brought to my attention over the weekend that there are some people out there on this great wide internet that have come to the conclusion that I am a horse dealer. They don't know me, other than this blog, nor did they care to know me before passing judgement. Why do they think this? Because I took on six horses from another local rescue that could no longer feed them and they can't understand why. Perhaps because they wouldn't have had the heart or means to do so? This makes me a horse dealer? Didn't all rescues start out this way... by "rescuing" horses in need? Now I could understand the horse dealer label if I had only taken six well trained and sound horses and immediately had them up for sale before even riding them. But come on people, use your brains and whatever little common sense you may have to actually consider the facts.
Out of those six horses, this is a rundown of the ones I chose to take:
1 - rideable, but has minor training issues that make her undesirable to adopters right now.
3 - old or unsound horses that I knew would be pasture ornaments.
1 - a supposedly "dangerous" mare that couldn't even be haltered when she came here
1 - a two year old that will be a pasture ornament until at least next year, and may never be rideable due to defects/old injuries on his left hind.
So are these horses that a horse dealer would have taken? Maybe so... but that dealer would have taken them straight to Sugarcreek auction and not even bothered to bring them home.
Am I a horse dealer because I'm not begging for donations? Because I'm not whining and moaning about the price of feed or hay? Or is it because here I am, all of sudden, willing to help out horses in need when the economy is so bad? How can anyone who is not a dealer do that? Is that your pathetically flawed logic?
Well let me set a few things straight for you. I have a job. A good job that allows me to work from home and afford to feed all of these horses. Glenn also has a job -- a new job that allows him to set his own hours, drive a company vehicle, and pays him much more than he was making before. We don't require donations to feed these horses and if I did have to rely on the kindness of others I never would have taken them in the first place.
I have been riding horses since I was five years old. I have ridden and trained with some very good riders over the years -- I haven't just been hacking a pony through the woods on the weekends. I have also been a working student, barn manager, trainer, and groom. I have volunteered with the HSUS, AHPA, and ERL in Virginia. Horses have been my life and somehow I have never been mistaken for a dealer. In my 31 years of owning and riding horses I have sold THREE. That's it, just three. One OTTB gelding became the best friend to a 13 yo girl in Maryland who taught him how to jump and made him a reserve champion. The other two were horses that I had bought one at a time for the man in my life and neither one worked out for him. I have given away a few rescues to good homes and still to this day get updates from the owners. Does that make me a dealer?
This will be my only response to the nitwits who call me a dealer. Unlike them, I don't have time to berate and insult others on an internet forum. I'd rather be doing something productive. Please people, get off your butts and off the internet, leave the rest of us be, and go be with your horses.
11 comments:
Hi wvfarmgirl,
Just leaving a "support" comment! Anyone that actually READS your blog postings would know that's not what you stand for or who you are. Blah for people like that and yeay for people like you. You're doing an outstanding service to those animals in need. Don't let a few trouble-makers bring ya down. Go hang out with your horsies and feel the love they give you back.
:-)
Lena
Dealer: a person who sells on behalf of a company or organization.
Rescue: refers to operations that usually involve the saving of life, or prevention of injury.
Your obviously a rescuer, not a dealer...stoopid people suck!
WVFarmgirl,
Those people have not a clue what they were talking about. If they read your blog clearly they would know that you ARE NOT a dealer.
You are doing a great thing by rescuing those horses! Keep up the good work!
YDavis
Hey WVfarmgirl,
I don't think you are a dealer and I applaud you for taking in those poor guys.... but I am really disappointed that you went for the "I can't feed or vet these horses and I will have to put them down" spiel or whatever one Celeita gave you...
Yeah, she kept the easy adopt ones and gave you the controversial ones.... and I know you were smart enough to check out SWAP...
July 5, 2008 12:55 PM
Regardless of whether or not Celeita could feed her horses or was going to turn them loose, they are now safe, putting on weight, their feet are trimmed, and everyone who has seen them at SWAP and and my place say they look happier here.
Did I fall for her "spiel", if that's what it was? No. I didn't really care what reason she gave. I saw that the horses needed better care then what she was able to afford to give them at the time, and I was able to give them that care.
Everyone is worried that Celeita took advantage of me, screwed me over, whatever. I don't care what her agenda was. I care about the horses. Period. End of story.
It's a shame that everyone puts such energy into hating Celeita and SWAP. I just have better uses for my time and energy -- like the horses!
Regardless of.........they are now safe, putting on weight, their feet are trimmed, and everyone who has seen them at SWAP and and my place say they look happier here.
- That's a good thing, Hurray for them!!!!! Yes, we are all happy that Baby and the others we have cried over for months have a home where they will get a fair shake and lots of good care....
Did I fall for her "spiel", if that's what it was? No. I didn't really care what reason she gave. I saw that the horses needed better care then what she was able to afford to give them at the time, and I was able to give them that care.
- I really didn't think you fell for the bull or cared since you appear to be an intelligent and resourceful person that truly cares about animals. But, could she not afford to care for them? That is the other question. There is plenty of proof regarding what gets taken care of in SWAP and it generally isn't the adoption horses once they become a dollar drain..
Everyone is worried that Celeita took advantage of me, screwed me over, whatever. I don't care what her agenda was. I care about the horses. Period. End of story.
- Trust me... I'm not worried about you... so don't tar me with that brush. I really don't care if you got taken by Celeita or not. I have, and I have been at the receiving end of her tirades. She has threatened to take back my pony for no reason other than I have confronted her in front of witnesses.
- What you did do is allow her to perpetuate an over a decade long scam that has negatively touched many horse loving people... I know a lot of them and they aren't happy campers.You just walked in on a very touchy subject that many of the COTH people as well as Fugly are aware of.... and we all know Fugly is right on.....
Later girl.... keep the garden growing.. and don't flash that defensive tone... Once you blog you are fair game....It's all part of the game.
I don't know if Celeita could have afforded to feed and vet those horses or not. The problem was, she obviously wasn't. I'm sorry I stepped on anyone's toes over at COTH, I don't read that forum and never have. I also don't have the time to keep up with all the Fugly comments and posts as much as I'd like to. But I am not sorry I pulled those horses out of there.
You're right, my blog is public domain and I expect people to disagree. And anyone that disagrees with me should also expect me to defend myself. And exactly what have I "perpetuated"? If Celeita takes in more horses and ends up in the same hole that she's in now, at least the 10 I have are being taken care of. If, by some miracle, she really is at the end of her financial rope and does not take in any more horses... then game over. Everyone wins.
Ah yes, point well taken. I don't want to spar with you and this will be my last post. I prefer reading your exploits of the farm, your taste in blogs is right on too.
I just wish you would have called the authorities and let them handle it. Celeita gets bailed out and changes the game constantly... and there will always be someone who wants to rescue the horses from the rescuer...
Nuff said girl. I admire your spunk, kiss Baby for me..
BRAVO!!!!!!!!! I give you a standing ovation. I appreciate the fact that you took horses that needed you. I've always wondered about rescuers who shopped the slaughter auctions for horses they could turn a buck on - and fast. As for the notorious forum - I've glanced at it maybe three times and always asked myself how these so called horsepeople found the time to carry on so. Nobody in my neck of the woods has referred to you as anything other than a rescuer of horses. End of story.
Post a Comment