Thursday, July 17, 2008

I need a nap or two

Jamie called me up yesterday morning and said "hey, I know a guy selling hay out of the field for $2.25 a bale, but we have to pick it up today. Interested?" $2.25 a bale? Heck yeah, sign me up! But I couldn't leave until after 4pm, which was fine because her and her husband Josh couldn't go to pick it up until after 5. So at 5:45 yesterday we were on our way down the road to load as much hay as we could between my neighbor's borrowed stock trailer and Josh's truck and car trailer. It took almost an hour to get there and we were less than amused that the guy knew we were coming, but didn't have his workers stack any of the hay. It was still lying about here and there in the fields. And let me remind you, this is West Virginia. Nothing is flat. His pastures were beautiful, but they were also incredibly hilly and usually steep. There was no way our trucks and trailers were going to be driving around back and forth on these pastures without tearing them up. So he had his guys drive around on smaller truck, load that with 50 bales or so, and bring it back to offload onto our trailers. This took forever and a day. By 8pm my stock trailer was loaded with 100 bale, the back of Josh's truck had 50, and his trailer wasn't even halfway loaded. And Mr. Hay Guy had run out of baled hay in the fields. No problem, he says. I've got a couple hundred bale in the barn that the boys put up this morning. WELL WHY THE HELL COULDN'T WE HAVE GOTTEN OUT OF THE BARN IN THE FIRST PLACE???

Josh finished loading up his trailer and boy, did he stack it high. There were probably 175 bales or so just on the trailer and they were stacked 7 bales high. But he had large cargo straps and he strapped it down good and tight. Or so he thought.

It was 11:30 or so before we got home. A mile away from our house one of the straps popped loose and Josh didn't realize it right away. This was a bad thing. Most of the trailer load ended up on the road, off steep embankments, or in the ditch. And I guarantee that at least a third of them broke. Hay was everywhere. Jamie and I took my stock trailer on to the house, dropped it off in the pasture, and got Glenn to follow us back with the Jeep and our small flat trailer in tow. We made several trips with the still intact bales and offloaded them into the barn. At this point, it was late, we were all exhausted, and two of us needed to get up very early in the morning for work. Do we leave the loose hay lying by the side of the road and just say screw it? This was the general consensus. But Jamie the slave driver said no way in hell could she get any sleep knowing we had wasted all that hay! So several more trips later and all the loose hay was cleaned up off the road and piled a mile high in our barn. At 3 in the morning Glenn and I finally moseyed down to the house for blissful 3 hours of sleep. Well, that's how much I got in anyway. He's still in bed, the lazy bum.

The biggest problem with no sleep is that we leave around noon today to make the 6-7 hour drive down to Virginia. Glenn finally has his divorce court date tomorrow morning. It's about darned time. Enough of the crazy ex-wife BS, it's time to finally wash her out of our hair! I guess my point is, since bonehead is still in bed and I'm up working with puffy eyes and continuous yawning, then he's doing all the driving!

1 comment:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Oh boy...what a night you had WVFarmgirl! Damn right he'll be doing all the driving! And I do understand that whole ex-wife BS. We had to go through it a few years ago(funny thing is the divorce was finalized way before hubby and I met but since they have kids, she decided to use them to start s***, especially when we first met)
Well, I hope you get some sleep during the way to Virginia and hope that things go smoothly for Glenn.