Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Am I next?

Hidden Meadows Equine Rescue, located in Berkeley County, WV, has closed it’s doors – and not voluntarily

Did you read the article?  Watch the video?  Good.

HMER was founded in September of 2008, just three months after we started Horse Haven Hollow.  HMER is in West Virginia.  The authorities just seized 53 horses and two cattle from HMER.  At one point this summer, we were up to 55 horses.  I can’t find out if HMER was a 501(c)(3) organization or not – it doesn’t say anywhere on their Facebook page and their website is now gone.

That seems to be where the similarities end.  But it still bothers me and in the back of my head there’s a nagging little voice that always questions me.  Are you sure the horses are healthy?  Are they happy?  Are they better off with you than where they came from?  Are you doing everything right?  ARE YOU SURE???

 

That nagging little voice sounds suspiciously like my second grade teacher, Mrs. Bruce.

But anyways, this is what I put myself through on a daily basis.  This is why I show you current pictures of the horses as often as I can – I’m hoping that if something doesn’t look right, someone will call me out on it.  I don’t want to become the next rescuer begging for money to save just one more horse.  I don’t want to be the rescue threatening to put horses down just to raise money.  I don’t want to wake up one morning and decide that no one can care for the horses as well as I do, so I should just keep them all and become a hoarder. 

I don’t know the woman behind HMER.  I can’t say that she started the rescue with good intentions or not.  I’m hoping that she did and just got in over her head.  I’d like to think she had gainful employment and didn’t just beg for money on the internet.  I may never know for sure what her reasons were for letting those horses starve.  Whatever her excuses, I can tell you that they aren’t good enough.

4 comments:

Sylvia said...

Well, I think you're awesome. :D Your horses are friendly, love cookies, and are fat and happy. I also think you know your limits! So no worries!!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel even though I'm not a rescue I have taken in horses (either paid for or was given to me) that were unwanted or the current owner had to many you know the story so I feel like a rescue. People are always asking me why I need so many horses (7 horses and 3 minis). I love them all and when I see one in trouble immediately I want to help. BUT my rational side tells me that I can't save them all. It's heart breaking but true!! You do a fantastic job and you do know your limits! I think that alone sets apart the good rescues from the bad!!

wvfarmgirl said...

Thank you, ladies! It's nice to hear that from people that have actually been here and met everyone. :)

Tinia said...

I would think the same way you do about it if I were doing rescue on a scale of such importance, but I have been there, and I agree totally with the posts above. . .I would worry. I do it with my own livestock, pets and horses, but that is really parts of what sets the good guys from the bad guys! I've been out to your place, too. . .and I found everyone in great shape. Eveyone always improved from your before and after photos, too!
If anyone ever questions Lilo's condition do to care, PLEASE direct them to me - lol