Saturday, February 27, 2010

Stick a fork in me, I’m done

With the snow.  Done, done, DONE.  Will it ever stop?  Will it ever melt?  Ugh.  Oddly, I’m so ready for mud. 

At least there’s one “person” on this farm that enjoys the snow.

 

I have some things to catch you up on, so here goes. 

1.  Doc was out on Tuesday to do some teeth floating and examine Genesis, who has returned due to financial and health issues.  He also checked Maverick, and much to our surprise, Mav has dropped his second testicle!!  Woot!  We’re hoping the weather will cooperate next week and we can get both Mav and Sky castrated.

2.  In yesterday’s post I asked for help identifying a farm in Prichard and getting some pictures of the supposed neglect.  Someone with relatives in the area stepped up to the plate and things are in motion!  Wish us luck in at least getting living conditions improved for these horses and dogs.  It’d be nice to close the place down completely, but another farm will just take it’s place.  Horses are going to be shipped to slaughter, it’s just a fact of life in this world.  As sad as it is, the goal is to just make sure they are treated well until the end.

3.  Not five minutes after I published yesterday’s post, I got a call about nine starving horses in the Fairmont area.  The person that called me is trying to convince the owner of the horses to give them up.  If he doesn’t do right by these horses, we’ll get the authorities involved and hope for the best.  Here’s the thing  --  no way can I take all nine horses on a permanent basis.  I’ll bring them here for Doc to examine them, vaccinate, float if necessary, and pull blood for Coggins.  Once Doc certifies them as healthy, I’ll be looking for foster homes.  If you’re interested in fostering one of these horses, please let me know!  Once I’m down in numbers again here on the farm, they can return here, or you can choose to adopt them.   Each foster home will be checked out and go through the typical criteria that I use for potential adopters. 

I could also use some help building another run-in shed if anyone can lend a hand!

5 comments:

connie said...

My life is not such that I can foster or own at this time, but I plan to in the future. A post about what you're looking for in a good foster or permanent home will help me plan for the future.

I so admire what you do and so wish my life were different that I could help now. I have the land, but not the fencing, and I don't have a barn (other than the one I live in) - but supposing I had those things, what else do you want?

wvfarmgirl said...

Shelter, safe pasture, and the financial means to properly care for a horse is all I ask. I also look at any other animals you might have and make sure they are healthy and happy. Fencing can be as simple as a strand or two of electric and shelter can just be a run-in shed (three sided building).

Lena said...

As I am writing this, the snow is falling once again. Hopefully you won't get hit with this same storm! I love the puppy picture!
Have you thought about posting something on your blog where people can sponsor one of your rescues? I don't have the means to foster myself, but I'd love to help out someone that can (i.e. you). How can we make that happen?

wvfarmgirl said...

Lena -- It would be a huge help to have sponsors for some of these guys, but I haven't put much thought into yet. We're going to apply for 501c.3 status this year, and maybe after that we'll open a paypal account for donations. If you want to help now, send up that handy dandy new hubby of yours to frame out a run-in shed for me! lol

Lena said...

The handy dandy Hubby says ok! As long as we can get some "processed hay" with us back for the garden!
:-)