Monday, February 1, 2010

A Sad Day

I love getting emails from adopters about how much they love their new buddies.  But today I received a different kind of email.  One that took me completely by surprise and had me crying within minutes. 

Ellie died yesterday. 

The vet was out a few weeks ago to worm her and said her heart was “slightly irregular”, and he thinks she died of heart failure.

Ellie was only here from April to August last year, but in that short time we all came to love her dearly.   She was a smart, sweet little mare that loved attention (and scratching her butt on my windows).  A lot of you were invested in Ellie and her progress from starving pony with a body score of 1 to a plump little girl with fat jiggles.  

Ellie would have been four years old this year.  

DSC_0341_thumb[2]

 

I don’t envy young Chole the heartache she must be feeling today.  I just hope she realizes the good she did for Ellie in the short time they had together. 

5 comments:

Lena said...

Oh no.....how sad. RIP little Ellie. You had so many people rooting for you.
My thoughts are with you guys that rescued her and cared for her - I'm glad she had love and care for the short time she was with you.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Very sad news. She was beautiful. My heart breaks for you and for Chloe but I agree with you that she did good for Ellie and you did good for Ellie too.

RIP Ellie, run free...

Anonymous said...

Oh Ellie! I remember how she enjoyed being difficult to fence in, and always found interesting ways to badger you for her dinner. At the very least, she was well cared for--she would have died much sooner at the hands of the person who used her as a "workin' pony" or whatever.

Muppet and Black Sheep (good name for a Black Silkie hen if I do say so myself!) say hello, and that they very much enjoy being inside brats by the heater instead of being out in the snow.

Sylvia said...

Count me as an Ellie lover. Sadness :( RIP, sweet pony.

Anonymous said...

Chloe's mom....Chloe is heartbroken over Ellie's loss...she missed three days of school and was sent home the 4th because they couldn't get her to stop crying. We will miss Ellie so much, but were so grateful to have her she was a gentle loving horse that touched all of our hearts....