Sunday, November 1, 2009

There’s one born every minute

My volunteer, Jamie, came out with her husband today and brought the 2 1/2 year old Doberman female that they’d rescued a week ago.  Jamie asked if I could put pictures of her up on the website so maybe we could find a home for her.  Their other female dogs didn’t like the Dobie and beat up on her every chance they got. 

My first thought was a friend of mine down in West Union that rescues Dobies.  Then she saw the word SUCKER written on my forehead and looked at me with those big brown eyes… and now we have another dog.

So here’s what we know of her story:  she was abandoned by some guy from NC and taken in by an older woman with good intentions, but no money to see them through.  She fed Stormy only what was necessary to keep her alive, but couldn’t afford any more than that.  Then Jamie’s husband saw her and they have had her for a week now.  They tell me she was in much worse condition a week ago, but that’s so hard to believe.  Or maybe I just don’t want to believe that she was worse than this:

Picture 015

 

Jamie said when they got her she had no muscle on her butt or shoulders.  When they first gave her a bath, the water would pool between her shoulder blades because of the lack of anything there.

We let Cody introduce himself first and he did what Cody always does:  sniffed her nose, sniffed her butt, then went back to the porch to take a nap.  Sniffing is tiresome business, dontcha know.

 

Picture 017

 

Next, I brought Heidi out on a leash for introduction.  Stormy was terrified of Ho at first and kept backing away from her, even though Heidi was being friendly and wagging her tail.  She eventually let Ho close enough for a sniff, then realized Heidi wasn’t going to hurt her and relaxed a bit.

 

Picture 019 

When I brought Thor out on the leash, Stormy was pretty relaxed and wasn’t scared of the big lug the way she was of Heidi.   Thor thought Stormy was a cutie pie and snorted up her scent, then laid down in the sun to day dream about how lucky he was to have two very hot and sexy women to run around with.

Luci the cat came up and rubbed himself on her snout, which scared her, and she showed no interest in the chickens flaunting their tasty white meat all around her.   Since my dogs accepted her, as I thought they probably would, and she didn’t show any interest in eating any critters, I called Glenn and told him we had another dog.  As expected, he wasn’t upset about it and couldn’t wait to see pictures. 

It took me awhile to type this because Stormy thought that what I really needed to be doing was petting her, and feeding her pecan sandy cookies that she’d found in the few moments that she had been in the house alone earlier.  She was VERY excited about the bowl of food I put in front of her and quickly devoured every last morsel.  Right now, she’s lying on the floor not far from a snoring Thor and a passed out Ho.

I think she’ll fit in just fine around here.

3 comments:

april said...

lol....so what to Lucky and Stormy think of each other being the newest bunch in the house :)

Sylvia said...

you're awesome! and she is a cutie. i love that her ears aren't cut.

Lena said...

Awww.... yeay for Stormy. I'm glad you have something else to fight for space in your lap! :-)))
She is waaaay to skinny though, but I'm glad she has a good attitude and that all the other animals were nice and welcoming. Keep us posted on Stormy!