We’ve known for months that Woogie’s health was on a downward spiral. He lost a lot of weight and his arthritis was so bad that he could barely walk. He was going senile , peeing and pooping wherever he was in the house, almost uncontrollably. We knew it was time, but Glenn wanted to be home for it so we waited. Woogie was 17.
This year, Brie started getting overly aggressive. She’d attacked Heidi numerous times for no apparent reason, other than Heidi just walking past her. She started attacking the cats, almost breaking Jack’s neck once. All of this I could have lived with and worked out a plan to avoid opportunities for her aggression. But the final straw was when Anne brought over her daughter and grand daughter. Emily walked past Brie with the baby in her arms and Brie lunged hard against her line, trying desperately to reach and kill the baby. Anything smaller than her had become prey, whether it had two legs or four. Brie would have been 10 in December.
Woogie sat on my lap purring as we drove them to the vet yesterday. Brie licked the tears from my face after she got over the excitement of going for a ride – her favorite thing in the world.
They both went peacefully. We drove them home and gave them a place on the hill behind the house overlooking the pond.
All I can say, is that filling those two holes was the hardest thing I’ve done in a very long time.
6 comments:
Big hug! You take great care of all your animals, and the time they had with you was definitely well spent.
I can't wait to come out on Monday!
WVFarmgirl,
I am so sorry that you had to go through this. I am crying for you as I type.
Sending some hugs over to you.
YD
Oh darlin', I'm so sorry. May the dear ones find joy in the heavenly meadows.
I'm so sorry! :( I know how it feels to lose a dearly loved pet. It is such a hard decision to make to put them to sleep too.. You did the right thing and eventually the deep pain of the loss will ease and you can remember them with a smile instead of a tear.
So sorry for your losses. You know that when one goes, there is a child out there getting a new puppy, kitten or pony. God got 2 great new roses for his garden and they have their wings! Tailwinds Brie & Woogie. Bless you for knowing it was time.
I totally missed this post! I had to scroll backwards to find it when you said you were crying over Brie.....oh, I am so sorry.....You did the right thing and you're the best kind of person for knowing it was time to let them go.
Many hugs. -- Lena and Kane
Post a Comment