After weeks of frigid cold, rain, and snow, today was the perfect day to fly a kite. It was 70 degrees and sunny, with a warm breeze blowing from the South. It would have been an incredible day for a ride. Or to finally finish the chicken coop. Or to work on several of the million or so other projects that we have going on in the great outdoors.
Of course I was on-call for work. Do you even need to ask?
But all was not lost! I dragged phone and laptop out onto the porch, threw caution to the wind, and went out to the garden. On December 27th. What was I thinking???
I was thinking that those four bales of straw we bought two months ago weren't going to spread themselves out. I was thinking the perennial herbs weren't going to prune themselves. And with all of the seed catalogs that have been pouring in lately, I was simply in the mood to get dirt under my nails.
#567 on the list of things that I suck at: guesstimating how many bales of straw it will take to put the garden to bed for the winter. Four bales weren't nearly enough -- I need at least five more.
Before I spread out the straw I cut back the herbs. The hyssop and catnip were still not only green, but actually growing. How dare they. Once I cut back the catnip it wasn't long before Woogie took up residence in the bed to roll about in the catnip and purr contentedly in the sun.
At least while I was working in the garden I got to do some horse-watching. After the main herd finished up their morning hay, they all took turns napping in the sun. At first Hunter tried to do the macho thing and stand guard while Meghan and Jewel slept...

but eventually the warmth of the sun was too much even for him and chivalry died right then and there.
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! I cleaned house (finally!) and Glenn butchered a few more of the roosters. I think I've said before that we do things a little backwards around here, right? :)



3 comments:
Can you help me with my garden issues?!! The 2009 Tomato Growers catalog came in the mail and I'm actually drooling!!
I wish it would STAY this way. No wonder Florida is such an attraction this time of year!
Oh Bravo for cleaning your house finally!!!!
I sure wish I can go out to the garden and do something there. We did get warm weather over the pass few days and on Sunday all the snow melted. I'm sure we'll get more.
Now, do you cover the entire garden with straw? Or just on the plants that will grow back next season?
Maggie - I'm thinking of setting up a gardners anonymous meeting at my place in February. We can all tell each other the plants we DON'T realy need to try, then watch as we order them anyway. :)
YD - I cover the whole garden with straw, but first I dump whatever compost materials I have available, such as kitchen scraps and chopped up garden refuse. Then cover the whole thing with straw. The straw protects the worms and other soil organisms that will break down the compost materials all winter. It also keeps the ground from freezing as deeply, which will cause the soil to be more compacted in the Spring. In past years I've dumped fallen leaves in the garden, then worked them into the soil with a hoe before covering with straw. Leaves are a great source of nitrogen, and also help to keep the soil more friable as they break down.
Post a Comment