Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fishing for Deer

By now you should know that we do things a little differently around here.

While I was coating some butternut squash with maple syrup, pats of butter, and brown sugar I heard Brie outside barking and growling at something. After I shoved the squash into the oven (oh my, the smells... mmm...) I opened the door and peeked out to see what she was barking at. Apparently, I have superhuman powers and can see in the dark. Glenn is a mere mortal so he had to grab a flash light to see what was going on.

We found Brie down at the pond barking at a deer that she'd chased into the pond. The poor thing was already wounded and wouldn't come out of the water. It was then my job to hold the flashlight while Glenn aimed his incredibly LOUD gun and pulled the trigger. I was in a panic because I was worried he'd hit Brie instead. It was dark, the flashlight was shaking in my frozen fingers, and I really didn't want him to shoot the doe while I was standing there watching. I knew it had to be done since she was already injured, but I didn't want to be a part of it.

One shot, the doe was down in the water. A split second later Brie was on the doe trying to make sure it was dead. In her excitement she managed to shove the doe out into the middle of the pond. Brie likes to swim, but that water is cold and even Brie isn't that stupid. So now Glenn is standing there staring at the doe wondering how he's going to get it out of the water. I watched as the light bulb above his head started out as a dim glow, then grew quickly into a brilliant spotlight. He had to add extra weight to the lure, but it only took five casts to hook the doe and drag her in.





Because we know what's in that pond we vowed never to eat anything we caught from it. Yet he's out there gutting and hanging the poor thing now. If he thinks I'm going to eat it, he's got another thing coming!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad but you should definitely eat it! We never eat steaks but we like sausage and ground venison!

This time of year is awful rough on the deer. Her end was better than it would have otherwise been...

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

It was the right thing to do to take her out of her misery.

I have tried venison before but I don't really like it.