Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Jake Update

I simply don't know how to say this. So I'm going to come right out with it and you guys can do with it what you wish.

When April took Jake to the vet on Friday the vet at first thought that the distended belly was from worms. When the vet couldn't find any evidence of worms in the stool, he took an x-ray.

Rocks. Stones. Gravel.

Jake had been eating whatever he could find to ease the hunger pains in his belly. Whatever he could find to just survive. It seems the only thing his chain allowed him to reach was the gravel in the driveway.

When April told me, I was stunned. Shocked. I sat in disbelief for hours. The vet says that the gravel will pass in the coming weeks and Jake will be okay. That didn't stop me from entertaining myself by coming up with all sorts of ways to punish, torture, and starve the scum sucking idiots that did this to him.

I still can't look at one of my dogs and not think of Jake. And tear up just a little.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gravel. I don't think I know what to say to that. At all. Beyond thank goodness for April getting her hands on him!

Koko--the Jagdterrier--was so freakin' small and skinny and covered in mud when I got him. How do people justify these kinds of things?

Anonymous said...

I finally got a new camera, so anyone wanting Jake updates, stay tuned and I will be sending many many pics soon of sweet Jake. Happy New Year :)