Friday, December 19, 2008

Delight's Reigning Gentry

Meet the latest addition. His name is Gentry and he's a 7 year old registered Tennessee Walking Horse. Gentry sold for a good deal of money last year, but has since come up lame in his right front, but usually only when going downhill. The owner had tried to donate him or give him away, but no one wanted him. He had an appointment to be euthanized this morning, which is something that upset his previous owner enough to call me. So he came here instead.




I swear he was clean and shiny when he got off the trailer. He didn't drop and roll in the mud for at least five minutes.

Gentry is a very sweet guy who loves the ladies. Meghan, Jewel and Willow were the first to greet him and he trotted off into the sunset with them. Later when I went up to feed I found him hanging out with Hunter, Kita, and Sadie. After dinner he shared his hay pile with Mandy and Hunter. The owner said he was an alpha in the herd, but I guess one look from Semi can wither even the most macho of men and make them want to hang out with harmless dwarves.



Due to his lameness, Gentry will be taking at least a few months off with massages whenever I can find the time, and maybe some chiropractic care for good measure. The owner had a vet examine him, but they couldn't find anything specific that would cause him to be unsound. He didn't start going lame until he had gone to the trainer this past summer, so I'm hoping it's just something that will get better with some downtime and homeopathic care.

1 comment:

Janis Bland said...

What a sweetie!

A horse will be in my retirement years, and I do want a Walker.