Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Water Dog Extraordinaire

 

Has anyone ever heard of an English Bull Dog or a Blue Heeler enjoying the water?  I certainly haven’t, but I’ve never had either breed of dog before.  Now I have both, wrapped up in one very dense, heavy, solid puppy.  Oh, I forgot stubborn, obstinate, intelligent, challenging, and ornery.  And cute.  Mostly.

Calypso loves the water.  I mean LOVES it, with a passion.  Unlike Heidi and Stormy, who just wade up to their bellies, Calypso dives right in with gusto and swims around the pond without a specific destination in mind.  She also enjoys bathing in the 100 gallon horse trough that I have in the yard for Lucille, especially when I’ve just cleaned it and put in fresh water.  Lucille is usually not amused.

IMG_5151 (800x600)

 

She also loves to fetch and will swim out into the middle of the pond simply to bring me something that she only thought I threw out there.

IMG_5147 (800x600)

 

IMG_5148 (800x600)

 

IMG_5152 (800x600)

 

The real fun comes when she reaches the shore only to find Heidi there waiting to snatch the stick from her mouth.

IMG_5145 (800x600)

 

And did I mention she only shakes off the stinky pond water when I’m in range?  Adorable.  Simply adorable.  Really.

4 comments:

Matt said...

She wants you to get wet so you will come for a swim with her!

wvfarmgirl said...

There is NO way I'm setting foot in that pond! No telling what I'd find in there! Besides, my toes my look appetizing to the resident snapping turtle. No thanks, she can swim alone!

MysteryTheMorab said...

You need to get that doggie a ball! Smart girl! Way to cool off!

Cathy93 said...

I have a Blue Heeler X Bull Arab- which sorta similar and He adores water.... Doesn't matter if its at beach, dirty dam or just a stinky puddle- if its wet he's there. Blue heelers are well known for loving water......And just cos I cant resist and its driving me nuts- That's a red heeler. Same background but different sub breed?