I don’t think I’ve ever been clinically depressed in my life, but the past few months have seen a new side of me, a side I don’t think I like. It’s been terribly difficult for me to find the energy to do anything except feed the horses. When Amigo was born I had to force myself to get the camera and take some pictures of him. I felt like I was far underwater, just trying to swim to the surface for air. All I could concentrate on was flapping my arms in hopes of reaching the surface before I drowned. I didn’t want to ride, take pictures, blog, start any seeds for the garden… none of the things that usually get me going this time of year held any interest for me.
This morning when I rolled my weary body out of bed I decided that enough was enough and took the camera with me when I fed.
Sky and Quill were very thin when we got home in February. Their hips and backbones were sticking up under their thick winter coats and they were lethargic.
Being so young, they recovered quickly. Quill still has a little weight to put on, but he’s starting another growth spurt right now and not only growing out, but also growing up again.
Had Tabby been fed properly this winter, she’d already be back to normal. But when we got home, she didn’t look that much better than when we took her back from her adopters. I’d still like to see another 150lbs on her.
I only wish they could all be like Dallas (except for the covered in mud part)!
Traveler is another one that didn’t lose much weight over the winter. He was still plump and round when we got home. Greedy little pony still thinks he needs all the grain in the world and runs me over at every feeding. Good thing he’s cute and cuddly.
Ditto for Jewel. That mare could stay fat just by looking at food.
Molly was fat when she came back from her foster home, but quickly lost weight and became ribby when Gilbert refused to feed her because he said he didn’t like her. She picked up weight quickly and is ready to start carting me down the trails whenever this weather warms up again.
Now if this four day migraine would go away and spring would come back to town, I could be happy again.
3 comments:
After these storms Monday/Tuesday we should be back to somewhat spring weather. It was nice there for a week or so and then a slap on the face when 25F mornings came back. It's hard to convince yourself to go outside when it's that cold, wet, and muddy.
Glad to see the herd is doing good after all they've been through this winter. Hopefully as soon as the weather breaks again you'll feel better and want to get more done. I didn't get hardly anything done this winter. I am waiting for warmer days and more energy.
Get better soon, those ponies need someone to play with :-)
Thanks, Matt. I had errands to run this morning, but am headed home shortly to play with some beasts and beat them with a shedding blade. Good times. :)
Welcome back! I haven't checked in lately and was pleasantly surprised to find a had missed a few posts. Hope you are back to feeling your normal self soon.
Post a Comment