Thursday, January 6, 2011

Who knew Utah was so beautiful?

 

I certainly didn’t.  Whenever I thought of Utah in the past, I envisioned flat and barren desert, devoid of anything but sand.  Silly me!  These days, I’m finding beauty wherever I go, whether it’s just a hawk perched on a fence post, the way the sun sets and outlines a particularly twisted tree on a hilltop, a herd of wild horses drinking from a stream, a new born calf suckling in the middle of a vast prairie, a magnificent elk hanging out near a large herd of antelope, a lone wolf pouncing after his dinner in the brush, or an emerald green field of winter rye surrounded by nothing but brown grass for miles. 

And that’s just what I’ve seen over the past two days, ya’ll.  Days like that make being so far from home just a little easier to handle.  But on to Utah, shall we?  These pictures were taken on US 6 and I-70.

IMG_4513

 

I think we drove at least 100 miles without seeing a house.  Awesome!

IMG_4534

 

IMG_4528

 

IMG_4486

 

You just knew I had some sunset pictures, didn’t you?  The sunsets out west have me wanting to stop every couple of minutes to get a picture from a different angle.  Too bad I usually don’t have the time to stop and soak up the last rays as they color the world in front of me.

 

IMG_4456

 

IMG_4454

 

This is probably one of my favorite shots from Utah just because of the way the light makes the mountain look like it’s on fire.  The rest of these pictures are all of the same sunset.

IMG_4472

 

IMG_4474

 

IMG_4480

 

IMG_4477

 

!IMG_4478

I hope these pictures make you smile.  The real thing certainly had me grinning like an idiot as I was rolling down the road!

5 comments:

Matt said...

Beautiful.

Aurelia F. said...

awesome! i like your shots!

cheap personalized t shirt said...

Beautiful shots is the best way to portray the beauty of nature.

inchwormwv said...

My Mom took me and Bob on a trip to the 4 corners area as a wedding present - Utah was the most spectacular scenery...every time we thought it couldn't get any better we would round a corner and WOW.

Walks With Wolves said...

I will move to Utah to live and die there. It is truly heaven on earth.