Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Washington State

If I had my life to live over, I would live in Washington.   No doubt about it.  I have seen almost all 50 states by now and none have tugged at my soul the way Washington has.  It’s something I really can’t explain, and I’m not even sure I want to try, but it may have had something to do with the wild horse herds we saw while driving through a wildlife refuge.

We didn’t get many good pictures because of the rain and fog that day, but the GBH did get some pretty good shots of the horses.  We passed about 10-12 different herds, ranging in size from four horses to 20.  They have the ideal range land to roam, since there is ample water, evergreens for shelter, and grass year round.  They all looked to be in pretty good shape, but I have to wonder if some are domesticated horses that have been turned loose by their owners.  There was a buckskin in a herd of bays, a chestnut appaloosa with white blanket in a herd of solid chestnuts, and a couple of herds with all different colored horses.

IMG_4648

IMG_4655

 

Sorry this one is a bit grainy, most of the herds were a LONG distance off and Glenn hasn’t bought me a zoom lens for my camera yet.  What’s he waiting for, anyway?

IMG_4657

 

There was also a puzzling piece of architecture overlooking the Hood river that I wanted to stop and explore, but couldn’t.

IMG_4635

 

I’m pretty sure I want to live along this beautiful river, but I can’t help but think there are even more spectacular places to live in this incredibly diverse state.

IMG_4697

 

Once we finally climbed out of the valleys and gorges, we found the top of the world.  Vast acreage of nothing but snow-covered crop fields.  There were open fields as far as the eye could see, with farm houses dotting the countryside every few miles.  This picture isn’t the best representation of the area, but it’s the only one Glenn got at the time.

IMG_4715

 

This is the same river mentioned above, but this was taken above the large dam.  When we win the lottery next year, we’re going to build a house on that far mountaintop, clear, irrigate, and seed pastures, and build a monster of a barn with indoor riding arena.

IMG_4708

 

If you’re going to dream, might as well dream big! Smile

11 comments:

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Stunning photos!! I also love Washington, but I do love the mountain of Virginia and West Virginia which is where I'll have to stay for now until I win the lottery and will move to a warmer place--I guess we're both dreaming big! :-))

Maren said...

So glad you're enjoying this part of the country - it is indeed pretty spectacular!

That architectural thing is a recreation of Stonehenge - pretty cool to visit.

You'll have to come back. Yes, I think winning the lottery is a good plan. :-)

~Maren

blue cross blue shield said...

you really do have beautiful shots, it is really proven the great art in this world was those naturally made by nature.

Lena said...

I love Washington State as well! We went to Seattle last year and I would kill for the kind of soil they have! Nice dark and loamy....sigh.
Oh, the places you get to see! :-) Great pictures!

Sylvia said...

Beautiful pictures. I've never been to the PNW...but really want to visit! Thanks for the update. Continued safe travels!

Deb said...

Debbie Downer here....my good friend moved to WA a few years ago and she hates it (the weather) and can't wait to get back to WV. Also, say goodbye to the wild horses if the government keeps up with what they are doing.

ok, back to your regularly scheduled program of butterflys and flowers.

wvfarmgirl said...

Deb -- I'm all about the butterflys and flowers these days. It helps to NOT think about reality once in awhile. :)

Deb said...

I hear that :)

people search said...

those pictures are really a fantasy to some people like me. Hope i have time to explore the beauty of our nature.

Anonymous said...

its look so beautiful shots, it is really proven the great art in this world was those naturally made by nature.
it's a masterpiece ..
brilliant ideas--



Edina MN Realty
Seattle Homes For Sale

jessicar! said...

These photos are beautiful.
The wild horses remind me of seeing brumbies here in Aus. There's always something special about it, even though they are feral here.


thatcitycountrygirl.blogspot.com