This has got me so riled up that I’m ready to throttle someone. This is one reason why it’s so difficult to do any good rescue work here in WV!
http://www.animallawcoalition.com/public-shelters/article/1136
There are so many counties here without an animal control officer that many complaints of neglect and abuse are ignored and the horses continue to suffer. But to actually have an animal control officer AND a county-controlled shelter for horses that is neglecting the horses is just going way too far!!
No shelter for the horses?? Leaving a halter on a horse that’s so tight it’s leaving imprints?? How can you call yourself an animal shelter? And why in the world are Jackson County people putting up with this? Your tax dollars are paying for these idiots to neglect horses and toss dead dogs in the trash bin and you’re not doing anything about it?
I am a private rescuer by all accounts. I’m not a 501© charity, nor have I ever pretended to be one. I do not whine and complain about how much of my hard-earned salary is spent keeping these guys fed and vetted. I do not beg for donations. I have three barns for all these horses, with ample room for everyone of them to get in out of the weather. Both of my troughs have working heaters in them and are kept full all year round, even though I have to travel 12 miles one way to town to haul water several times a week. There is hay in my pastures 365 days a year. Any horse that needs a blanket, gets one. Not one horse on this property wears an ill-fitting halter. I even have two horses living in my yard right now so that I can keep a close eye on them and make sure they are fed five times a day.
I’m not trying to blow my own horn here. But if one person with a separate full time job can do all of this, WHY THE HELL CAN’T A COUNTY-RUN SHELTER TAKE PROPER CARE OF TWO HORSES??
5 comments:
I can see why you are ticked off, I am too! This is ridiculous! An animal shelter is suppose to help unwanted/unfortunately animals. I hope something get done about it.
How about being harrassed continuously by the Humane Officer for no valid reason other than wanting to take your animal from you to put it down (of which I think this woman enjoys)? Please read the comment section of this article:
http://www.jacksonnewspapers.com/news/x1643194512/Concerned-citizens-meet-to-discuss-alternative-plans-for-animal-shelter
Unfortunately, you are not the only person I've heard this from about ACOs in WV. It seems the good ones are hard to find. Luckily, the ACO here in Pleasants county is one of those few.
Right on J.!!!!!!!!!
We finally have an ACO in Doddridge trying hard to make a difference! At least she has a specific deputy backing her up now ( and several more in the wings )...unlike when I served and had one wacko deputy to work with who didn't give a rat's *ss. Several people are being prosecuted for abuse & neglect but of course, we don't have a newspaper so know one knows!! We also don't have a Humane Society/Shelter but the new ACO and a group of others have actually started a spay/neuter program funded completely by donations, and are seeking out foster homes for ALL neglected animals.
Anon -- I've talked to the Doddridge ACO and you're right, she does sound like she wants to do a good job! She had called me a couple of months ago to see if I could take some horses that they were seizing. Unfortunately, it also sounds like she's got a mountain of a job ahead of her... I'm glad to hear she's already getting things done in the short time that she's been ACO.
Post a Comment