I was over at Elizabeth’s house for dinner the other night, and after we finished eating she asked if I’d like to run down the road with her to pick up her puppy.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Because if there are other puppies available and they look at me with those big puppy dog eyes, I will end up bringing one home. Ya’ll know this about me by now. Apparently, Elizabeth knew this about me too.
It didn’t help that the dirty puppies had huge wormy bellies and were dragging their mother down so bad that she wasn’t much more than a bag of bones and fur. The owners said they couldn’t afford to get them all vaccinated or wormed, but they already had an appointment to get mom spayed. Better late than never, I guess.
Mom is an Australian Shepard /Collie mix and they think the dad is the Puggle down the road. Ewwww. A Pug / Beagle mix? What the heck kind of good idea is that??
Luckily for two of the pups, they turned out a lot like mom. Elizabeth took home Austin, the biggest male pup, and of course I ended up taking home his smaller sister.
Say hello to Xena. I let Glenn name her so he wouldn’t kill me for bringing home a sixth dog. Worked like a charm!
The pups were born October 20th, so Xena is younger than Gidget, but about twice the size. This doesn’t stop the two of them from being constant companions and play buddies.
Xena’s previous owners had a lone rooster that babysat the pups while mom was out and about hunting. So she leaves the chickens alone, but LOVES to chase and try and herd the guineas! It’s adorable how she chases them around the yard, like she’s on a serious mission to get them someplace. It doesn’t matter where they end up, just as long as she’s the one that puts them there.
She is now my little shadow. I have to watch every step I take and make sure she’s not underfoot. When I’m washing dishes (yes, I actually wash dishes now and then) you can always find her sitting between my feet.
The pups may spent the first two months of their lives living outside, but it only took her a few days to figure out that she needed to go outside to do her business. (Are you reading this Gidget?? Get the hint, ok little one?)
I am now up to six dogs and six cats. I know I’ve said this before, but this is it! OK?
3 comments:
Goodness woman, 6 dogs and 6 cats! Who are you kidding? This is never it. I'm sure you'll come home with another dog or cat when you see their puppy/kitty eyes.
I do want to adopt another dog but hubby kept saying 2 are enough in this small house. :(
If I lived in the 'burbs or the city, I would never have this many critters! But having this much property for them to run around on certainly makes life easier. I just need a doggie door for everyone. It seems most my day is spent letting someone in or out!
Gidget is supposed to be leaving with Glenn next time he comes home, but we'll see!
Oh Hi Xena! You are a cutie-pie! What a gorgeous coat! :-)
I can understand how your new mama could not resist bringing you back home.
Fun thing with the herding....hey at least she might actually have a job on the farm, right? I mean, other than making your trip and begging for bellyrubs? :-)
Post a Comment