Monday, April 7, 2008

A not so perfect hoof

I'm finally able to pick up Maverick's front feet and left hind. He's touchy on the right hind and after a few attempts he lost patience with me and tried to cow-kick me -- but again in that slow motion kind of way that says "I really don't want to hurt you, but leave that leg alone!" So I did, for now. :)



Finding a farrier and vet in this area has proven to be extremely difficult, but I finally found a farrier willing to come out this way to work on the little guy. He'll be here Wednesday morning and hopefully Maverick will be better about picking up his feet by then. I've been working with him daily, but the little bugger is smart and if I have a halter in my hands he knows something is up!



The pictures really don't show enough. Even when I look at them today, I think "oh, they're not so bad". But you have to look at them "face to face" so to speak to really see what a mess they are. Note that each foot only has a bar on one side or the other, there should be two definable bars on either side of the frog. I was trying to get the feet cleaner, but Maverick had other ideas. Like clog dancing on my feet and biting me in the butt. I'll be sure to get better pics on Wednesday after the farrier has a chance to work on him.

Oh, and I'm STILL looking for a vet. Ugh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello ther MAV's Ma!
I love this blog. You worting is really good and very witty1 Looking forward to sharing stories. Now.Let me scold you a bit...no more BARE FEET! Hear me? They all need you around to feed 'em, clean 'em, grow them, and generally make sure all are thriving. You won't be able to do that if you get stomped, kicked, punctured, sliced or diced on who know's what's lurking in the ground. I have bottles , bits of china, nails and more nails growing out of mine..so buy some good slip in clogs ( I love my Meilles)..
Keep up the blog..really fun!

wvfarmgirl said...

But I so love going barefooted in warm weather! And I'm up to date on my tetanus, promise! :)

wvcountrygrl said...

Dr Andrew Padden is a travelling vet in our area. I can give you his number (he is really hard to get ahold of but very good, has mobile xray and everything right on his truck)